• Last passenger trains on the Adirondack Division

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Cactus Jack

Frank is correct about the track being torn up at Lake Clear, Jct. It was done during the removal of the overpass and for a long time the track was missing for about 250-300 feet each side of the new highway. However, NYSDOT did set the highway elevation so that when a crossing was installed in 2000 that everything lined up okay.

Incidently, after PC ceased service, several sections were torn up including about a mile north of Snow Jct. (Remsen) and at North Country Community College in Saranac Lake. This was subsequently relaid when NYS served a cease and desist order as part of the State purchase of the corridor.

by LI Loco

In July I rode from Utica to Thendara. The trip takes two hours each way. Track speeds are 25 mph south of Remsen and 40 mph north. Train had ex-CN reclining seat coaches, a baggage car and a snack bar. Most of the trip is through wilderness. A highlight was crossing a manmade lake on a high bridge as well as some running alongside whitewater rapids.

At Thendara, there is a shuttle bus that takes you into Old Forge, where you can spend four hours shopping and having lunch. We opted for a 2 hour cruise on the Fulton Chain of Lakes. When we got back to Utica, a westbound Amtrak pulled in on the other side of the platform. How convient!

The weather was lousy but the trip was worthwhile. I'd like to do it again for Fall Foliage.

by pablo

OK, I'll bite...what's Kudish's new book? I just checked Amazon and didn't see anything "new." I'll buy it...I grew up in Scenectady, occasionally went north, and own the pale green Adirondack railroad book.

Dave Becker

by frankc

Kudish's new book is being issued in several volumes - I think four. Apparently it's a huge amount of info. I saw the first volume somewhere - probably in the book section of Old Forge Hardware Store in Old Forge, NY. I seem to recall that the first volume is the only one out so far. Next trip to Old Forge I'll try to remember to stop in the book section and see if I can get details.

Frank (summering at ADK Div. milepost 69 (well, sorta near it )

by Charlie C

According to the web site for Purple Mountain Press (www.catskill.net/purple) Michael Kudishs' Vol I (of 4) is in print it is: Mountain Railroads of New York State, Vol I. Where did the Tracks Go in the Western Adirondacks. I was in Raquette Lake and Old Forge a couple of weeks ago and did see it for sale.

BTW I will be bringing my Adirondack Division Modular Layout to the NER Convention in Parsippany in October. Hope to meet Otto and otheres there.

by frankc

thus spake CharlieC:

BTW I will be bringing my Adirondack Division Modular Layout to the NER Convention in Parsippany in October. Hope to meet Otto and otheres there.

Oooh-- What is the NER, where will the convention be, and do I have to be a member of anything to go there? I'll be in northern NJ for several weeeks in October. What's date?

by Charlie C

Sorry Frank

The North East Region (NER) of the NMRA is holding their Fall Convention at the Parsippany Hilton October 20-22, 2006. It is being hosted by the Garden State Division of the NMRA. You do have to be a member of the NMRA to register, but there is a 6 month membership available for about $10. They will have 3 clubs set up in the lobby ( I am to be one of the three) so I think you could drop by and see the set-up. But I would reccomend attending the convention if possible.

Their website is:www.trainweb.org/nergsd/

Charlie

by frankc

thus spake CharlieC

...I was in Raquette Lake ... a couple of weeks ago...

So was I !! I presented my slide show on the Raquete Lake Railway and the Marion River Carry RR. Were you there to see it? It was on Aug 6th in the island chapel -. Is it St. Huberts?

by Charlie C

Sorry I missed it. I was there the week of Aug 13-Aug 20. Would have loved the show. Of course made the visit to the Adk. Museum to see the Marion River Carry Railroad Locomotive and Car.

Finally got to canoe to the Marion River Carry, make the carry and canoe into Utawana Lake. As always an Adirondack Vacation is great.

BTW It is St. Huberts.

Charlie

by frankc

My slide show is drawn from my collection of antique postcards. I have many cards of the carry railroad (both upper and lower carry terminals) and of the Raquette Lake waterfront area ---- station, steamboat coaling siding, car floats, etc. Also cards of ADK Div. from Carter to Beaver River. I couldn't figure out how to post a pic to this forum. Don't know if it's possible or permissible. When I lived in NJ (until 2002) I belonged to the Tri-State Railway Historical Ass'n. I didn't develop the slide show until after I moved to FL but I'm in NJ from time to time and offered to do the show at one of their meetings but I never heard from them. I've only done the show for local history groups --- Big Moose, Woodgate, and Raquette Lake --- but I think train people would enjoy it, too.

Those who lament the scarcity of rail related pictures of the ADK Div. should find the postcard collectors. There's gotta be enough stuff "out there" to do a book. And the best are the so-called "real photo" cards that are contact printed from negatives onto postcard stock. Resolution is so good you could probably make posters from them. Of course, they're all black & white.

by RussNelson

Kudish has been spending his summers doing research on the Catskill forests, and .... of course, taking notes on its railroads as well. Railroads of the Adirondacks will be split into three expanded volumes, with a fourth book covering the Catskill mountain railroads. I guess he fell in love with the place, because he retired to U&D territority. Somewhere near Fleishmann's.