• B&H action, what are those large concrete things?

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by joshuahouse

The past two days I've seen strings of flat cars with very large concrete blocks on them, one sitting in the siding by Tops in Bath, and the other being pulled by a single locomotive in Curtis (just east of Campbell if you're not familiar with the area). Just what are these things they seem to have some sort of cooling system inside them and have medal panels on one end. I also noticed that there are a stack of ties beside the B&H line to Hammondsport almost across from Lane pipe. Is there some plan to reactivate this line perhaps in conjunction with construction at the jail and county home area?

This will be cross posted with railfan.nets forums and the ny railfan forum on this site.

by HOJct

I have been told that these are prefab jail cells. I have a photograph of what I think you are talking about from last August sitting on a TTX flat at Horseheads, NY on railfan.net forum. Just look up my profile link to the pictures there. I am HOJct on that forum. [/img]
  by bwparker1

Looks like the move is going to take place tomorrow... FYI

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 1156032363

As information, two miles of the Hammondsport Industrial Track will reopened (Hammondsport Jct. to County Home) on August 21, 2007 to deliver a 17-car special move of prefabricated jail cells for the Steuben County Jail.

Eugene H. Blabey II
Chairman/CEO
B&H Rail Corp.