• Question about the Burlington & Missouri River RR in NEB

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
  by travelrobb

Let's all get into the way back machine, shall we? I understand that the C.B.& Q. acquired the B&MoR RR in NEB in 1882, but did the latter operate as a nominally separate company for a while? If so, until when?

I ask because I have an old B&MoRRR NEB switch key that would appear to date from after 1900--and some people have claimed the key dates to the 1920s.

If I've stumped the group, can anyone refer me to someone who might know?

Thanks,

Robb

by squints16

While the Burlington and Missour River Rail Road in Nebraska was virtually under the control of the C.B.&Q. for some time, in technically never was a subsidiary of the "Q". It remained an independent coroporation until, on December 31, 1879, the directors of the B&M accepted terms of consolidations proposed by the C.B.&Q. On July 26, 1880, all of the property of the B&M was deeded to the C.B.&Q. The land department continued to operate under the original corporate title after this, but I am not sure for what length of time.