• Northern Electric

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by henry6

For more on the DL&W placement and Cut Off, see William S. Young's TUNKHANNOCK VIADUCT available at hobby shops, Steamtown, Pump N' Pantry in Nicholson and Pure Pennsylvania in the Hallstead Plaza, Great Bend. He just revised and enlarged it...and its only 12 bucks!

by Bucyrus6150

Where does the ROW pick up again after the part north of the creek? I'd imagine theres some houses or something built on it now....

by Zhanna

There's actually a house just west (right) of the section of ROW you see in the last photo. (When I was there, new residents were moving in and I told them about the trolley. Which was neat, but they of course had no information for me about it since they were new to the area.)

Across the road I saw the ROW going into a small wooded area, just barely discernible. I didn't follow it, but I want to get back up there soon to check it out. It's got to go right into town at some point.

Zhanna

by brward

First off, great shots of the roadbed and abutments. And yes, that is the exact location I'm speaking of. According to the placement of said bridge and the topographs it looks as though the NE did share the tunnels. Keep in mind that doesn't mean that at some point in the past they might of ran over the mountain, which is not unheard of. I just want some definitive answers.

-Brian

http://www.trainworks.net/

by JimBoylan

Zhanna wrote:'ve used a yellow circle to indicate the location of the N.E. bridge on this map Image
You can see the DL&W off to the east at that point.
Where was the DL&W Old Line on this map? It existed just North of this map until ConRail didn't take it, and lines up very well with this bridge. The contour lines suggest that something may have run between the yellow circle and U.S. Rte. 11, then possibly continuing NorthEast under the Viaduct. Here's a link to a 1940's map showing more of the area:
Http://historical.maptech.com/getImage. ... g&state=PA
Move SouthWest on this link to see the old tunnel under Tunnel Hill.

by Zhanna

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but wasn't the DL&W old line what became Route 11 (the Lackawanna Trail), just as it did to the south?

This 1912 map, before the cutoff, shows the old mainline: Nicholson 1912

and the 1941 map (similar to the one you posted) shows Route 11 in nearly the same alignment: Nicholson 1941

Or am I misinterpreting something? (It's been a long day so that's entirely possible! :-) )

Zhanna
Last edited by Zhanna on Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by henry6

You're right. The main place RT 11 veered off the DL&W ROW was at the hill where the tunnels are. But there were roads along the routes before the early 20th Century changes.
  by Zhanna

To follow up on one of my earlier posts, tonight I obtained the following coordinates at the N.E. trestle abutment:

N 41° 33.012' W075° 45.033'.

This is the abutment to the west side of Routes 6&11, between Dalton and La Plume.

Zhanna

by Bucyrus6150

A little O/T but, theres other bridge abutments, just to the left of the current bridge for Rt.11, are these from the old DL&W main or an old road bridge?
  by splitrimz

I created a small website on the Northern Electric Street Railway AKA Scranton, Montrose and Binghamton Railway. The website has a lot of information and references to two book on the subject. One is still in print, The Northern Electric by Norm Brauer and you can still order it from Norm. His Email is on the website. Follow the links to the Northern Electric, also some photos of the roadbed taken last year in Lake Winola

http://lackawannatrail.railfan.net/

by kraazie8

i am new to this site but would like info on this section as well. i have lived in this area all my life. on the road i live there is an old tunnel with two sides about a half mile long, i dont know what section this is. and than on my farm there is another section, wich has a small concrete bridge and an old concrete foundation. the tunnel section and the one on my land run different locations. the current tracks run on the other side of rt. 11 and have nothing to do with the tracks i speak of. are these the ones you guys are talking about, from what i have read i am real confused and like i said i know this area well. i can provide pictures of the tunnels, the little bridge and the foundation if u want since i own the land they are on. the tunnels i do not own.

by kraazie8

and about 10 years ago a very wealthy lawyer bought all of the small tracks, the one not running with the tunnels. and made all of the land owners buy "his" section off of there own land. yeah cost my grandfather alot of money to buy his own land back from some jerk!!

by Bucyrus6150

The section you're talking about is the old DL&W main line. It was abandoned in 1915, when the new line where the tracks are now was opened. Can you get any pictures of the bridge you're talking about? I've walked the line many times but I'm not sure which bridge you mean, the only one I can think of is where the Northern Electric crossed the road about 1/2 mile west of the tunnels...

by kraazie8

yeah ill take some today, its just a small bridge that crosses a small stream on our land. i took some but not sure how to post pics on this page.
  by splitrimz

brward wrote:Anyone know of any books, maps, etc. , pertaining to this road?

Thanks,

Brian

www.trainworks.net
You can order a reprint of the book. "The Northern Electric" from the Author, Norm Brauer, at:

[email protected] It is around $35.00.

Splitrimz