• CSX Switching question

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by cifn2

I have a question, I hear CSX's trains coming through here sometimes they will get the redlight, and the dispatcher out of Jacksonville FL will give them permission to throw the switch by hand and take it off power, and pass by then return it to power and continue on their way passing the red. Do switches operate automatically or how does that work in the CSX system?

by LCJ

They are what is known as "dual control" switches. When authorized by the dispatcher, crews can move a lever enabling them to operate a dual control switch manually.

by CSX Conductor

Also, this is not just on CSXT. :wink:

by LCJ

For a long time, power switches were manually operated only by C&S (communication and signal) maintainers. It's called craft protection, a common theme on railroads.

Power switches had a hand crank that was accessable only with a maintainer's key. Needless to say, this caused serious delays at times, since it required manual operation by a maintainer who could be miles away, or home in bed at 3 AM. Not to mention the overtime costs...

by cifn2

ok I was thinking they were computer controlled or something, they are just more of an automatic with key switch, which can be moved by hand if a maintainer isn't around ok :)

No

by CSX-COAL HAULER

No ------------listen to what LCJ said---they are dual control------------------------dual control-----they are normally operated by the train dispatcher via his computer -------but you can ---and will----after he gives you permission to operate by hand---line for your direction of movement and procede at restricted speed looking out ahead. They CAN be operated by DUAL control.

by cifn2

\I didn't understand the language he used I am sorry I don't know what Dual control is that is why I asked.....

by LCJ

Sometimes I forget that railroad terms are not universal. Jargonitis! Sorry about that.

What we're discussing here are remotely-controlled (electric) power switches that are designed to also be easily operated by train crews when necessary.

Here's a good link for more information about these machines:
Alstom Signaling Solutions

by Noel Weaver

I am not so sure about the word "easily".
I remember a trip south on the River Line back in the Penn Central days
when we went down the siding at CP-13 (at that time it was CP-13) and
dispatcher told us to pull right down to CP-7. We met a train or maybe
two trains and eventually stopped at CP-7 with a red dwarf signal. The
dispatcher than told us to crank the switch over and call him back after
we did that. We went to the locked box where the tools were supposed to
be kept but there was no hand crank. We had nothing on the engine to
use so we were hanging. There were often railfans in the area with cars
and before long, one showed up and offered to help after having heard us
on his scanner. We looked in his trunk and presto, lets try the tire iron
which was awkward to use but eventually we got the switch lined over for
the siding and made it to North Bergen where we got relieved.
I know the railroad considered the switches on the River Line to be dual
controlled but I did not, if the dispatcher could not line the switch from his
machine for one reason or another, they could only be lined by the use of
a hand crank which sometimes could be found in the locked tool box at
the location and in the above case there wasn't one to be had.
A true dual controlled switch had two levers on the machine both protected
by switch locks, one of which would change the operation of the switch
from power to hand throw and the second lever would actually throw the
switch. During my time on the River Line, I do not recall any switches of
this nature on this line but later on when I was working out of Selkirk to
Buffalo, there were some interlocked switches on both the Mohawk and
the SR&B where these switches were used. Times were much better
during that period and we rarely if ever had to hand throw these switches.
Noel Weaver

by LCJ

My use of "easily" was in reference to true dual control switches, of course. Power switches that require a special tool or hand crank are not dual control switches, and are certainly not as easily operated in manual mode.

I can just picture that scavenger hunt for a hand crank in the middle of the night! Truth be told, maintainers have been known to keep those cranks in their trucks, thus ensuring the call out on overtime to crank the switches over. Imagine that!

by cifn2

I would think that would guarantee a write up in my job doing something like that, then again my job deals with lives.

by LCJ

Separation of crafts is an institution with a long history on Class I railroads.
  by CSX-COAL HAULER

Working for the railroad and working for a Ambulance service------are very different professions in my opinion.

You could not do 1/10 of what railroaders get away with on your job!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P

by cifn2

ya that is what I am figuring.... that my experience of dedication to my current job would help me in railroading.
  by DocJohn

Account of passing siding and dual-mode turnout by Noel was excellent. When line was single tracked, north end of passing siding was just south of New Milford Avenue crossing in Dumont. A 3-light dwarf signal was installed at north end of northbound platform. Believe it displayed red over green over red when it was ok for train to leave passing siding. At that time there was a spring switch instead of a powered turnout.

JHL