• Questions about driving record

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by DJ

I have a valid license now, but I was convicted of DWAI in 1998, and my license was suspended.

It was suspeneded again in 2002 for not paying a traffic ticket.

AMDG asks a lot of questions about your driving record, so I'm wondering, with my driving record, if this means automatic rejection for me.

I am looking good on all the other questions, same job for 13 years, clean medical, ect.

I hate to think that a mistake made years ago could mess up my future like this.

Any advice?

by Swedish Meatball

Most RR's want to check your driving record for the past 5 years. Parking tickets are not going to hurt you. Moving violations and a DWI will affect your chances of being hired. If the RR only checks the past 5 years you should be OK.
  by LCJ

DJ wrote: Any advice?
Most importantly, tell them what happened and when -- for the entire period they ask you about. They will find out anyway -- and being less that forthright will definitely cancel out your opportunity. If the dates are close and you're not sure, then double check them to be sure you're giving accurate information.

by SteelWheels21

Be honest and don't get your hopes up. They really frown upon the DWI stuff. We had a guy here on UP who made it through his probation and was actually on the road extra board when they found out that he had been charged with an alcohol-related driving offense, but had never been convicted. UP wanted him to go through a substance abuse program. He told them which siding they could shove their program in, and he got fired. Evidently on the railroad you are guilty until proven innocent (or never proven anything at all).

by DJ

I went to the AMDG interview last week. There were six of us to start. One person was removed for failing the Industrial Reading Test. I scored 100 percent on the Industrial Reading Test. I was told I will be invited to start class in May, pending the results of the personality test, which I was told will take a week.

I disclosed all the information about my drivers license to the AMDG interviewer, and was told that since I was convicted in '98, it should not be a problem. They seemed more focused on making sure the information I gave was correct, and that I was not trying to hide anything.

I seem to be at a point where I may have to pay $4,250. I am willing to do this, but I am not sure. AMDG says they just want to provide qualified people to CSX. They say thats what they get paid for. They told me I was qualified to begin class.

At this point, my main question is will CSX see the '98 DWAI and automatically reject me after paying $4,250. If so, I don't see the point in giving that money to AMDG.

by LCJ

You should clear this with AMDG, but I believe the set up is that if AMDG says you're qualified for school, and you pass the school, you're qualified for CSX -- as long as you've been honest about your background. They (AMDG) are responsible for providing qualified candidates to CSX.

Again, I would talk with someone at AMDG who is in a position to know this for sure. Remember -- you are their customer, just as CSX is their customer. They owe you a clear explanation before you agree to pay.

If you haven't been honest, they will find out, and you will be out of luck (as you know).

by PChap

DJ, you definitely want to clear that up before you pony up the cash. I went through CSX conductor training (albeit a different location than you) at the first of this year, and had 2 people in my class get rejected at the end of the program. Don't really know why but heard some rumors, who knows if they are true or not. But you may want to talk with someone at CSX, not the school, to get the straight answer.

by the missing link

I had a vehicular accident last summer w/ a charge of reckless , are my chances totally shot?
Last edited by the missing link on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

by CSX Conductor

Not totally, as long as your honest about it. Whatever you do, don't be scared and leave anything off your application because if they discover it they will consider it lying and terminate ya.

by Finch00

SteelWheels21 wrote: ... found out that he had been charged with an alcohol-related driving offense, but had never been convicted....
That my friend was an illegal move my UP.... but since he quit your case would be shakey