• Carman for CSX

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Browns Town

Hey folks, new here. This forum has already answered alot of my questions and I thank you all for that, but I have just a few more.

I recently had an interview wirth CSX for a Carman position, and from the phonecall I received today it looks like I have the job, provided all the various tests go well and I'll hit Atlanta for training in August. So I'm very excited about the opportunity and eager to start.

Anyway - I don't know anybody in the railroad industry, I'm about as green as they come. I do have experience in welding, cutting, various mechanical stuff that will probably come in handy. My questions are:

1. Can you describe a day or two in the life of a carman? The general job descriptions really don't tell you much. The more in depth you get, the better.

2. For anyone who has went through similar field training in Atlanta at the CSX REDI spot, please describe your experiences there in detail.

Thanks in advance for any help.

by PRRGuy

At one time I was a carman for the South Shore in Indiana (I've since moved to train service), but I think our version of a "carman" is a little different then other railroads. My official title was "Terminal Carman" Basically what we did was: fueling and sanding of freight power, air tests (Class 1, 1A and 2) basic light maint. on the freight power. Also, being that this is a passenger road also, we did air tests and other things on the passenger equipment.
All the carmen on this line are required to hold an FRA Engineer's license, because we also make all the moves in the yards and home terminal. With a bigger road like CSX I'm sure you'll be doing more of walking cars, checking brake shoes and basic maintenance on freight cars only, but I'm not completely sure.
Hope this helps!

by Browns Town

Thanks PRRGuy, any info I can get helps me feel a little more comfortable walking into this. I've scoured Google up and down and I haven't really found any relevant information at all so far. I found this site very interesting and was hoping a carman could give me some information about his average day on the job, pros and cons, etc.

Thanks!