• Conditioning

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by UNPhopeful

The position I put in for closes at the end of June. Until that time, I thought I'd ask you guys what sort of physical conditioning I could do to get into shape for the various exams that I have to pass. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanx.

by cifn2

I would try some stretching, weight training with lunges forward, also work on lower body strength, and maybe walking up and down stairs or ladders to get used to that sort of thing. Those are from someone who isn't in railroading but who wants to.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Most roads give you a physical strength test. This includes sit-ups, push-ups, chin-ups and finally, being able to lift 90 pounds. The 90 pound lift is not done with free weights, but with a bar, attached to a cable, pulling against a recording device, on the apparatus. It doesn't seem like you are able to move it, at all, but they do get a reading. Do 20 sit-ups, chin-ups and 50 push-ups a day, until the physical, and practice dead-lifting at least 90 pounds, also several times a day, and you will be just fine. Regards :wink: