• Electrical Blocking???

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by CRail

Now, I know im way behind my time here, with DCC and all, but how does blocking work. I would like to operate main line trains while doing some yard work. I figure there would be an insulator of some sort but someone needs to fill me in here. (IM LOST!!!)

by Otto Vondrak

Are you asking how to wire your layout for Digital Command Control, or just conventional DC?

With DCC, the blocks are only there to separate your layout into power districts- so if you have a short circuit somewhere, it doesnt disable the whole layout. You can have multiple trains in the same block without worries.

With DC, it's one block, one train. If you want to run more than one train at a time you need more power packs or "cabs" to do so.

Best bet: get yourself a book on wiring from your local hobby shop. Those books can explain a lot better than I can.

-otto-

by CRail

I just need to know how the blocks are separated. I know how the systems work and i was saying how far behind i was not even knowing how to block when DCC exists.
  by atsfman

Isolate each block by cutting a gap in both rails. This can be done at rail joiners by removing the metal joiner and substituting an insulated joiner.
or, cut the gap, and insert a piece of sytrene between the two rail ends, epoxy or ca the styrene, let it dry and smooth it to the rail contour.

I choose this method, even though I use DCC I have my railroad divided into blocks for troubleshooting purposes.

Bob

by CRail

sounds good. i will experiment with all of those methods

by dti406

It is also good for parking trains in passing sidings and makes it a lot easier to use signals and black detection devices. Again a good reference book used to be Kalmbach's How to Wire your Model Railroad.

Rick

by Otto Vondrak

Plastic rail joiners are readily available and are the easiest to use. Cutting a gap and filling it with plastic also works, but is not needed unless you need the gaps to fall where there is no track joint.

-otto-