• Can someone please explain what this means?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by jg greenwood

Cowford wrote:Let's level the playing field all together between new hires and old-heads and get rid of seniority and stepped vacation, too! It's not fair that the new guys get all the dog assignments and the "older" guys get all the good jobs.

QUITYURBELLYACHIN!
You actually believe that seniority should be done away with? What color is the sky in your world? I'll be the first to agree that the tiered payscale is totally unfair. But, we should scrap the seniority system as well? BULL$*!+! I guess that when it comes time to start furloughing we'll start at the top of the roster vs: the bottom?

by LCJ

I believe Mr. Cow had his tongue planted firmly in his cheek on that one -- a commentary of sorts on complaining tendencies.

by route_rock

UP pays minimum wage for parts of training not 75% BNSF you get 80% if you are a yard helper,brakeman, or switchtender. Full pay right out of class for Conductors and Hostlers.
Let the big guys make them bonuses why not? WAit till you hear the new sandhouse rumor. Supposedly the carriers all want to negotiate wage CUTS! hehehe Oh when does my BLE app get here?

by jz441

[quote="route_rock"]BNSF you get 80% if you are a yard helper,brakeman, or switchtender. Full pay right out of class for Conductors and Hostlers.quote]

On former ATSF lines you start at 75%, former BN lines 80%.