• Central FL shortlines

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by kylewoody

Hey guys.

I will be moving down to Orlando, Florida in a few months. I plan to just get any job really, to cover my half the rent and car, etc. I would like to get in with a railroad, but have heard bad things about the big companies (especially CSX), so I had my eyes set on some shortlines.

Does anyone have any advice for me? What lines there are down there, what they've heard of companies, employee morale (hopefully better than CSX) etc.?

Thanks,
Kyle
  by jz441

kylewoody wrote: I would like to get in with a railroad, but have heard bad things about the big companies (especially CSX), so I had my eyes set on some shortlines.

Does anyone have any advice for me? What lines there are down there, what they've heard of companies, employee morale (hopefully better than CSX) etc.?

Thanks,
Kyle
Morale is bad on all the freight railroads. It comes with the lifestyle. My suggestion is to go work for Amtrak.
Good luck!

by GOLDEN-ARM

Orlando? I thought you said you were moving to Florida???? :-D You might try Clewiston, and the SCFE, Ft. Meyers, and the SGRR, or the First Coast Railroad, in Fernandina. Orlando is about as far from the "real" Florida, as you could get. It's more like, Pennsy, Ohio or New York...... :(

by kylewoody

Well, I live in Destin FL (near Pensacola) right now. I've been to Orlando a few times, I seem to like it.. :-) And of course, a annual pass for the theme parks!

Thanks for the suggestions, like I said - I really do have a love for the railroad, raised around them all my life. Just the other day I drove up to the airport and had to stop as a 3 engine CSX freight went across the road. I was thinking man, if I could involve my career in that, I think I might actually like my job... lol

What I really want to do, is either work my way as an engineer (and operate those beast) or work on them - either sounds pretty decent to me. I have rebuilt 2 and 4 cycles before, been flying my own homebuilt plane for 4 years now. Do all the maitinence on that. Halfway through getting my CDL, and would also like to become deisel mechanic certified.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, as everyone seems to say working for the railroad industry period - blows. Oh well, I'll try it atleast.

Kyle

by slchub

Please do yourself a favor and really review many of the posts here in this forum. There are many from the guys who actually work in the field, as well as myself. It may seem like a lot of fun to ride the rails (sometimes it is) and envision yourself hogging away up there. And I do have to admit, I prefer to be on the right side of the cab than walking the ground with a switch list. But if I could have my weekends and nights with my family I would really be a happy camper. Short lines seem to be a little more friendly than the Class 1's to their employees. If you like the mechanical side of it, I would go with that. I guess I cannot complain though. I am usually home within 36-40 hours after being called out. I was a pilot for a rail grinder crew making their way up the subdivision a couple of weeks ago. Those guys are on their train for 7 weeks and then have 2 weeks off. Yikes.

by GOLDEN-ARM

If you are in Destin, and can look in other areas, the Bay Line is also hiring......... Yeah, the railroad blows... EVERY other job right out of the water.... :-D :-D