• Electric operations in Detroit

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

Were the electric operations in Detroit similar to what was used in New York? When did electric operations end?

-otto-

by BaltOhio

The Detroit River Tunnel electrification was identical to New York -- that is, 650-volt DC, underrunning third rail, with overhead third rail over the complex trackwork at the Detroit end. And, as with New York, the locomotives were equipped with small pantographs for the overhead rail. The DRT locos, built in 1910, 1914, and 1926; all were GE center-cab B-B units, a design which the B&O copied for its own Baltimore tunnel electrification.

Motive power was theoretically interchangeable with the NY fleet, although this was not done until the last years of the DRT electrification, when six R-2 class C-C freight motors were transferred to Detroit after NYC dieseled its NY freight operations. Also, several of NYC's unique 1930 "tri-power" GE-IR-Alco boxcabs were assigned to Detroit. These, as you doubtless know, operated diesel-electric, straight electric, and on batteries.

The electrification was shut down in 1953.

by Otto Vondrak

Thanks for the info. So older electrics went from New York to Detroit, but I assume the Detroit fleet came down to New York after 1953?

-otto-

by BaltOhio

Otto-

OK, here's more than you ever wanted to know:

The MC/DRT electric motors were all B-Bs, NYC class R-1, and all were 620 hp. There were 12 altogether -- MC #7500-7511, re# 156-171 in 1936 -- built by Alco-GE in three batches, in 1910 (when the tunnel opened), 1914, and 1926. Generally they ran in m.u. pairs when hauling trains. These never left Detroit and all were retired in 1953 when the electrification was shut down, although several were not scrapped until 1956.

The six R-2s sent from New York were newer and more powerful -- 2500 hp C-Cs built by Alco-GE in 1930-31. I don't know what happened to them after the Detroit electrification died, but doubt that they saw service again. In 1955 10 of the original 41 R-2s were sold to the South Shore Line, and possibly these included the ones that had been in Detroit. (The South Shore rebuilt most for 1500-v overhead operation.) NYC scrapped the remainding R-2s between 1956 and 1962.

Herb Harwood

by Otto Vondrak

Good info! Thanks very much. I can never know too much about NYC electrics.

-otto-
  by latonyco

After reading the replies to the initial questions in this subject, I am left with another thought. After the arrival of diesel power on through trains using the DRT in the middle to late 1940's, what would the operational procedure have been? For instance, when a westbound passenger train on the West Canada Division arrived at Windsor from St. Thomas, would the diesel units be removed from the train, as with their steam counterparts, or would the R-1 electric motors be coupled ahead of the diesels taking the entire train through the tunnel to the Michigan Central Station in Detroit? If that were the case, would the engine crew from the West Canada Division remain with the diesel units for the ride through the tunnel or would they have gotten off at Windsor? Whatever ther case may have been, I'm sure the procedure would have been reversed for the eastbound trains.
It would be intersting to learn whatever knowledge there is of when this operation was in place.
Thank you.
  by lbagg91833

Diesels were operated thru W/O eng changes to/from CANADA. Larry Baggerly
  by latonyco

Thanks for the information above.
I am still left wondering about operational prodecure for the engine crews moving their train over the West Canada Division between Detroit (Windsor) and St. Thomas during the remaining years of DRT electrification.
It seems reasonable to assume, in the years after electric power was eliminated, that those crews would have to operate their trains to and from Detroit.
  by latonyco

Since it was established here that diesel locomotives remained with their trains moving through the tunnel between Detroit and Windsor while being pulled by DRT electirc motors. My other question inquired about the West Canada Division engine crew remaining aboard the diesel units for the trip through the tunnel. The answer was not available here. However, I did learn, from sources outside fo this forum, that the engine crew did remain with the diesel for the ride through the tunnel even though their train was pulled by an electric locomotive. I can only guess that this may have been done because it would have not been prudent to leave a "live" locomotive unattended even for the comparitively short tunnel trip. I can only imagine that this procedure remained in place until the end of third rail service in late 1953.
As an afterthought,in the early 1950's I remember being on the westbound Wolverine, #17, when it arrived in Detroit. There the diesel and electric locomotives were uncoupled and moved away to a servicing facility just west of the station. Some moments later the same diesel units were returned to the train, with the next division's crew on board, and made ready to resume the trip to Chicago. Unfortunately, I never got to see this operation performed for the eastbound trains arriving at Detroit from Chicago and prepared to continue to Buffalo and beyond.
Anyone have any thoughts about that?