• Canadian railroading vs USA railroading

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by tr1467

Hired on with CN in Canada almost a year ago and I love the job. From personal experience CN in Canada is a good company to work for, my only problem is that I wanted to live and work in the States and I would have to quit and re-apply. I stand in a very good spot for seniority right now as CN was so far behind in hiring and have a shortage of employees in Canada. I honestly think that none of us will be laid off here.
My only problem is that I wanted to work in the states as I have dual citizenship. Any advice would greatly be appreciated on items such as

**job security
**rates of pay
**how well do the boards turn
**opportunites for road vs yard work
** Seniority districts CN (USA) BNSF UP CP

Again I appreciate your responses please private message or post a response for me if you like and if you have any interest in Canadian railroading info I would be happy to assist (Just looking to chat with some other railroaders and get some information)

by jz441

There is a former CP engineer from Canada that works with me here on the BNSF, and he deeply regrets leaving Canada. He says that there is no comparison in how much better they were treated in Canada. My advice is to stay where you are and enjoy it.... :wink:

by rail

I have meet numerous dudes who came down from canada. They all said that the work rest cycles here SUCK!!!! And they all eventually went back to Canada. keep your seniority.