• MCRR/NCYRR Steam Locomotive Pictures out of Gaylord Michigan

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by dunrobin

Hi. I am looking for photographs of any NYCRR steam locomotives that were operated in and around Gaylord Michingan. I have a bell and I am trying to identify a locomotive it could have been from. Thanks.

by TheTimberliner

I have seen at least two specific photos of NYC Steam Locos in Gaylord. One was taken in the fifties and showed either a Hudson or Mohawk. I have been racking my brain and searching the web, so far all I am doing is going crazy trying to find it again! As soon as I do, I will post the link.

The second is a photo taken much earlier (ca 1910?). I should be able to post that if you are interested and I can drag it out of my computer's memory.

In the meantime, I can tell you that during the twilight of steam on the NYC, almost anything appeared on these Michigan Branch Lines. Hudsons and Mohawks were often seen, and of course, H10's and H5's. In the days of the earlier photo mentioned above, ten wheelers were common on the Mackinaw Branch.

by TheTimberliner

Found it! Go to http://www.railarchive.net/rlsteam/index.html and click on the NYC logo at the right. On the next page, scroll down about 1/3 of the way and you will find a photo of NYC J1d #5367 taken in 1952. The engine is on the head end of one of my favorite trains, The Timberliner!

Hope this helps!
  by dunrobin

Hi. Thanks for the information. I would really like to see the photo taken in 1910. The Hudson you have reffered me too is too new for my bell, but it is interesting to see a picture of a locomotive in Gaylord, MI. Especially if it on the head end of one of your favorite trains. My bell was manufactured between 1906 and 1926.

by Ramcat

If there are any numbers and/or characters either cast on or steel stamped on the bell and support members you could post them and see if anyone out there might have reference to old records.