• CSX: Criminal Brackground Questions on App.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by BigMike

On the CSX app. it asked if you have ever been convicted of a felony and it also asked if you have ever been convicted of a misdameanor or felony involving drugs or alcohol offenses. Is this all they ask you about when you get to school to or do they have you fill out another app that ask different questions like arrest instead of convictions???

I have read on here some say convictions and some say arrests......which is it, cause this can make a huge difference??
Last edited by BigMike on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

by slchub

I would say that if one has to question what his/her background may be as far as a criminal background is concerned, and whether to provide accurate and truthful information on said topic, he/she may wish to look elsewhere as the time will come when HR and the RR police will come together and uncover the hidden truths if they are not revealed at the time the application is made.

by BigMike

Hey Dip! No one is trying to hide anything! I was merely asking if they asked the same question on the app thats online as they do when they give you the app in school. If you answer the conviction question honestly and get accepted to class and plunk down 4500 bucks to only be asked later about arrests.,well Mr. goody two shoes thats a whole different story completely. I have been arrested a couple of times in my younger days for a fight or two but was never convicted of anything. But I dont want to give my money to a company who is gonna try and trick me out of it!
  by cifn2

[quote="BigMike"]On the CSX app. it asked if you have ever been convicted of a felony and it also asked if you have ever been convicted of a misdameanor or felony involving drugs or alcohol offenses. quote]

Number 1, you have no reason to overreact he was being serious.

Number 2, That question refers to felony, meaning anything which carries jail time over 1 year and or a fine over $500. And misdemeanors or felonies in alcohol or drugs tell it for itself....

The answer to your question as I see it is, without actually seeing their application I would think they aren't worried about arrests but any Felonies... and any drug or alcohol offenses in your past. Without any of those you should be fine. And relax, don't get tense this early in the game. Relax and enjoy the ride!

by BigMike

:-D Im relaxed, I just dont like it when people act like because you ask this question you are automaticly a criminal. I was just trying to find out what they asked you becuase it seems to me they want to know about convictions, but I have also read on here that at the School they ask you about arrests. I dont want to think im ok with no convictions but spend my hard earned money to find out they want to know about arrests.

by slchub

Never meant to imply that you were a criminal. However, honesty is the biggest thing on the RR. Without honesty guys get killed or hurt. First time a manager finds you are lying or covering up something, you are gone. Let the attitude go. Be truthful with the application, be it on line or on paper. 2-3 years ago you could get away with not providing an arrest on the application. Now with homeland security an issue and in some areas of the RR like UP going into ports and harbors, you have to undergo a US Customs background check. Any arrests will be found. We on the UP are having new digital employee badges issued to us. I would consider speaking to the rep. for the CSX school about the prior arrests and see what thier experience has been with students completing the program and being hired by a Class 1. If not a Class 1, then maybe a Class 2 or 3 RR may consider you.

Good luck with your endevours.

by BigMike

I worked in the corrections field for 15 years prior to this so I dont think the RR industry is more stringent. The question was posed to the School and they only asked about convictions. My questions is after i pay my money will the RR want to know and judge me by arrest or convictions??