• What do you do with paid social security

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by trackman2b

I was wondering what happens to your social security after you start working for the railroad. I know that I dont pay into social security now that I work for the railroad. Is there I can get it back from the social security administration or do I loose it all. If anyone knows the answer to this please post. thanks

by SanAntoniostang

You should be able to collect a portion of your benefits depending on how much you paid in when you retire. That portion of course deponds on how long you have paid into ss before you got hired on to the RR. Say you were 23 and only paid in for 5 years than I doubt youll get much of anything but on the other hand if you are 43 and have paid in for 25 years you will get back more but it still wont be much of anything lol.
  by LCJ

trackman2b wrote:If anyone knows the answer to this please post. thanks
Go to the horse's mouth. Here is where you should get the answers to your questions:
http://www.rrb.gov/default.asp

And no, you can't get the money from SS back at this point. Nothing is lost, though. All that you pay in -- to either system -- is accounted for in the long run. You won't "loose" it.