• Amtrak interview set

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by mrdoregon

I have an interview set for march 14th at union station in portland oregon.
I am a little apprehensive in accepting a position if offered. My concern is the future of amtrak and the passenger rail service. I know that they are always getting bailed out and that they are always changing their routes and their services to save money and maintain their system.
can any body direct me in a way to find more information on the status on Amtrak and their future.
I have looked and cant seem to find any real clear information which has me a little nervous.
any help is appreciated.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Used to be, if you went to Amtrak, from a common carrier, over which Amtrak operated, you could maintain your seniority, by continuing to pay your dues, to the freight railroad local, you belonged to. Might be different in different regions, but then again, it might not. All is not always lost, when moving over to Amtrak........... Perhaps a conversation with the General Chairmen, on both sides, is more in order, at this point in time........ :wink:

by jz441

Amtrak is here to stay. It is the only corporation that has been loosing money for 35 years, and is still in existance.
Politicans like to use Amtrak as a tool to fight among them self's, but american people will never give up Amtrak.

I believe that Amtrak is in many ways more stable job than freight. In freight, as soon as the stock price drops, railroad starts cutting jobs, and lays off hundreds of people, but Amtrak trains have been running half empty for over 30 years, and have no intentions of stoping any time soon. If Regan was not able to wipe Amtrak out in 1980, nothing will.
America needs national passenger network. Passenger trains are here for the covinience, not for profit.

There are very few passenger routes in the world that are able to pay for their own operations. Generaly, passenger operations are heavely subsidised world wide.

Go to the intervew, and take the job. You will be very happy when you go by the major freight yards on Amtrak, and see your fellow freight railroaders switching cars outside in the rain, wind and cold, but there you are inside where it's worm and dry... :wink: