• Experiencd railroader interviews with Alaska Railroad

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by SPDEAN

I had a interview last week with them, I have my finger's crossed that get the job. I have 10 year's and no railroad will touch me. They just don't want anybody who know's what there doing!!

by BigMike

This is something I dont understand. Some say that you cannot get hired by another railroad once you have already worked for one and some on here say that they have worked for more than one with no problem.

by SPDEAN

Just about all class 1 railroad's won't hire someone with a railroad back ground. I have a perfect record, I'm also in the US Army reserve railroad, and i'm turned down by everyone!!

by GOLDEN-ARM

I have been hired by three class-1's so far, and am preparing to go work for a fourth. Don't believe the BS that you can't get hired by a "big-road". You just have to be in the right place, at the right time, with the right skills. (I had 6 years rairoading, when hired by the first, 12 years when hired by the second, and 16 years of experience, when hired by the third.) In may, of this year, I will have 24 years of experience, and I am interviewing for a position with my 4th class-1. You have to be willing to work anywhere, at anytime, with little or no notice though, to get these jobs. BNSF and the CNIC both currently accepting experienced employees, at eastern and southeastern locations.......... :-D

by BigMike

Thanks Golden-Arm, I knew that these statements had to be wrong, there is no company in the world who would turn down an experienced employee over a inexperienced one. It doesnt matter that the railroads are different. The biggest assets are that they are used to the work schedules, are familar with being around and working around the trains themselves, Also for an engineers job it will save them big money as far as training goes.
  by B&M 733

Believe it or not, there is it least ONE (perhaps more) Class 1 RR that I have heard of that have a reputation for NOT wanting to hire experienced railoroad employees. The general thought is that they wish to train their employees THEIR way, and that it is easier to to that, than to get new employees to re-adjust to their ways.
While I do NOT agree with this logic, i can at least see where they are coming from, having seen many employees (myself included) having readjustment problems when coping witha "new" railroad.
Years ago, when a passenger rail agency took over a particular ticket office, I witnessed a particular experienced and qualified employee being turned down for a particular "off-the-street" hiring slot. The story is complicated and I shant get into names and places but I will add the following:
The person who WAS hired for this job could barely speak English, he took a bath once a month or so, and eventually quit in a few months. A few months later, the above "rejected" candidate was hired in another department as a grandfathered incumbent. He was eventually "discovered", brought into management, had an illustrious career with the outfit, eventually becoming a General Manager, and eventually (30 years later) left to go to another passenger agency, where he is earning a VERY substantial stipend. Go figure