• Vintage Collinwood photos

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by EastCleveland

For those of you who are in an East Cleveland state of mind:

Take a look at this Ohio web site that contains photos, dating from the 1930s, of the Collinwood yards and various NYC building interiors.

The thumbnails begin at this extremely long url:

http://images.ulib.csuohio.edu/cgi-bin/ ... CISOCOLS=4
  by jbeckley68

I am always happy to see old yard photos for the NYC..
I wished more important towns/areas of the NYC would display them.

Hint: Syracuse , Buffalo "Gardenville",etc....

by BaltOhio

Fascinating. These photos were all part of Cleveland State Univ.'s Cleveland Union Terminal collection, which also includes many other construction scenes along the line and of the terminal itself. The dates obviously vary, but it looks like the Collinwood scenes begin about 1928 and run through to perhaps early 1930.

by EastCleveland

I find the "emptiness" of the photos particularly interesting. With only a few exceptions, you don't see any locomotives, freight or passenger cars, or any human presence whatsoever.

by EastCleveland

deleted
Last edited by EastCleveland on Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by EastCleveland

deleted
Last edited by EastCleveland on Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by EastCleveland

Sorry for the repeat message. I posted it once and received an error message from the system that I've never seen before, which has obviously resulted in. . . cyber-mayhem.
Last edited by EastCleveland on Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by shlustig

The "emptiness" is because this was new construction and an expansion of the original Collinwood Yards.