Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by Bucyrus6150

When is the best time to catch a train going through this area? I go mountain biking past the tracks almost every day about 10 miles north of Scranton and in the past 3 or so years I can count all the trains I've seen go through here on one hand. :( I'm usually around the tracks in the late afternoon around 2:00 - 4:00pm is this a bad time? If so, when would be the best days and times?

by ANDY117

NO P IN BINGHAMTON!!!!!!! We're too poor, but if you'd like to give us Paris Hilton, it's a deal... Anyways, go to Taylor Yard, over in Taylor. there's usually some pretty good activity, OR go up to Conklin, or binghamton for that matter for more action. im not sure about times, but you can gauge it off this Yahoo! group (i am now the person walking around in a sandwich board for this group)

finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/binghamtonnyarearailfans/

by LexZen

really? :)

by Lirr168

Bucyrus, in my experience, CP traffic around Scranton is sporadic at best, but when you do catch one, it is worth it: usually 2-3 locomotives and a couple dozen hoppers. You should be able to catch the Delaware Lackawanna trains, however, their schedules tend to be pretty regular; last time I was in Scranton (over the summer), you could count on at least a few light locomotives coming down from that way, but more often then not they were hauling hoppers. Hope that helps a bit.

p.s. - if you are just looking to railfan and not stumble upon them biking, head down in the vicinity of the university; there are usually several switch-jobs per week down there plus the Steamtown excursion train.

by dtravisjr

CP runs at least 10 daily road trains between Binghamton and Scranton (Actually Allentown, Harrisburg, Phila etc...) and that includes the NS rights trains. There is also local D21 to Binghamton and a 512/513 that run on alternate days. Add in a sporadic coal train or grain extra to the DL and you can expect 12-15 on the busiest of days. Most of the northbound traffic runs in the morning hours and overnight. The southbounds tend to leave Binghamton in the afternoon and evening hours and would reach Scranton in the early evening and at night. Tuesdays Thurs and Saturdays are probably the busiest days. Mid days and early afternoons are pretty much dead, at least thats based on my observations of the line just south of Binghamton.

Dave