• Mamuee and Western

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by mike

A couple of questions regarding the Maumee and Western.

Does the Maumee and Western run to Liberty Center anymore? I've become rather interested in this seemingly ramshackle shortline, and read somewhere that they were planning on once more running to Liberty Center after a hiatus.

What is the status, if there is one, of the diamonds in Defiance? I haven't heard anything recently.

Do they interchange with NS in Indiana to the west (south?) side of CSX and with CSX on the east (north?) side of where the diamonds used to be?

In terms of operations, are they regular? When does CSX interchange in Defiance?

I love small shortlines getting by on "rough" old track, and their operation intrigues me.

Thanks for any information.

by railohio

1. They do not currently run to Liberty Center and do not have plans to do so in the future, contrary what rumours have been circulating amongst foamers.

2. The diamonds are indeed still in Defiance, however they are setting across the MAW mainline since their literal removal from service.

3. Interchange is made with Norfolk Southern west of Woodburn and with CSX in Defiance.

4. I can't speak for the "western division" but they run to Napoleon on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Interchange with CSX is conducted by the Y101 local based out of the Defiance yard and that occurs just about every day that train runs.

by chessie8212

Here's a photo of the MAW in Woodburn, IN.

by railohio

I've got a similar shot from back in October or November. They must keep it parked there regularly.

The usual power on the Defiance-Napoleon side is the other ex-IC Geep. They also have the ex-BN and Santa Fe units in Defiance but they are both dead and drained.

by caboose9

railohio wrote, "I've got a similar shot from back in October or November. They must keep it parked there regularly."

Hi,

I assume the MAW doesn't use, own, or store any cabooses on their properties?

Thanks, Roger

by railohio

They used to keep a red ex-N&W caboose behind the J-M insulation plant on Carpenter Rd. on the east side of Defiance but it's been gone a few years now. I know I've seen it in Napoleon since it moved from there but I haven't seen it around in quite a while. It *might* be back in a bunch of MoW cars stuffed east of Cecil or down in the quarry south of there, but I haven't been out that way in a while to see.