• How far back does the railroad background check?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by greeneyes

Hello all
Seems like a very nice forum and this is my first post.
I am going on a interview soon with csx railroad in Michigan.
I have been studying for the testing, math,reading ect.
But I have one question I have been reading quite a few posts here
I had a dwi driving ticket 15 years ago and I did not put on application
as I figured it happened so long ago I did not want to bring undue attention to myself.
Can the railroad go back that far on a driving record?
I went to the dmv and pulled up my driving record and it was clean.
I am not sure If the railroad can go back futher than say you or I?
Also do you know of any good study materials for the first interview
Thank you

by JuKayes

It's my understanding that, this is probably something you'll want to put on the application... Generally speaking they are only looking at the last 7-10 years...

However by you not including it, to them it may appear as though you are trying hide, or conceal it from then. And they do not look fondly upon your attempting to conceal anything of this nature from them...

The fact that it was so long ago, and that you've not had a repeat offense would likely indicate to them that you learned from your mistake and have taken the straight and narrow course since that incident...

Just my $.02 worth, but I'd let them know about it when you interview... If at that time they tell you don't worry about it, we're not concerned with something from that far back, your in the clear... But at least then you'll have told them, rather then having them finding it out on their own and then thinking you were trying to hide it from them...

Hope that helps...

by freshmeat

First of all, carefully re-read the application. If it says "Have you ever been convicted" then there may be some cause for concern. But if it limits it to 7 - 10 years, you should be alright.

After the interview with BNSF, which they went over our applications in detail, we were given about 5 days to correct any mistakes on our applicaton. I cant' talk about CSX, but that is what BNSF does.

by frank502

If they ask be truthful. If they don't....don't volenteer the info. Like the other poster said see what the app is asking for.

If you have to tell them.....take responsibility for what happened. Tell them it was bad judgement & that you learned your lesson & you will never think of doing it again.

Don't tell them you were really innocent & the cop was just out to get you or some other BS. That will rub them wrong.

GOOD LUCK

by roadster

First any driving recorded convictions are generally removed from your DMV driving record after 5 years. However, due to the fact that a DWI arrest (1st offense) is a Misd. in most states, therefore most likely there is a criminal record on file with that states Dept. of Justice records division, and even possibly with the FBI's NCIC. If the application states within 10 years you'll be ok, if there is no specific time frame, then you need to correct the problem. Also does the application ask for "arrest" or only "CONVICTION". Now of note here is wether you were convicted of DWI or received a reduced charge, or dismissed altogether. If you are unsure check with the court of Juristiction. Being there have not been any repeat offenses in the past 10 plus years and you voluntarilly bringing this "unintentional" ommission to their attention may be helpful. You must consider this, risk paying the tuition fee and all related exspenses, start your training, and hope within a year of being hired, you don't get terminated for this or be honest and if they say no thankyou up front, you money is and time has not been wasted and if hired on won't have that issue hanging over your head. I have worked for CSX for 6 years now and have seen several fellow employees terminated for lying on the application for not disclosing such info.. Good Luck, there's alot to chew on here. Hope to have you in our ranks someday.
Roadster