• Question about interviewing...

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by ATSF211

I was wondering does anyone have any good tips to mention while in an interview with an BNSF HR rep?

What are some key things to mention? I just wanna make sure I say "close" to the right things to get me a job.

Also, does anyone know if they (BNSF) look more at your criminal background or your work history? I have one speeding ticket and I have a pretty consistent work history.

TIA,
Mike
  by Fatal

ATSF211 wrote:I was wondering does anyone have any good tips to mention while in an interview with an BNSF HR rep?

Also, does anyone know if they (BNSF) look more at your criminal background or your work history? I have one speeding ticket and I have a pretty consistent work history.

TIA,
Mike
Don't try to hide anything...like speeding ticket or other criminal history if any...
  by ATSF211

Fatal wrote:
ATSF211 wrote:I was wondering does anyone have any good tips to mention while in an interview with an BNSF HR rep?

TIA,
Mike
Don't try to hide anything...like speeding ticket or other criminal history if any...
I only have one speeding ticket and I already mentioned it on the application that I filled out on the BNSF website. I guess im just kinda over reacting to this whole interview thing. I dont do very well in interviews.

by Aji-tater

Relax - a speeding ticket is not considered a criminal record. Even if you were applying as an engineer, the certification process only considers DUI or DU drugs. It did not hurt to mention it, it shows you're not hiding anything, but they certainly are not apt to hold one ticket against hiring you.

If it even comes up, you can turn it into a positive thing, tell them you really regret it because you are always safety-conscious and try to follow the rules. But if they don't bring it up you should not either, just forget it. Relax and good luck.

by SteelWheels21

You should mention Safety, Saftety and Safety. They're going to ask you about a specific job or time in your life where saftey was important and how you handled it. They'll also ask you whether or not you're a team player.

A speeding ticket will only bite you if it's recent and you're already hired and going for engine service. Don't worry about it otherwise.

by ATSF211

SteelWheels21 wrote:You should mention Safety, Saftety and Safety. They're going to ask you about a specific job or time in your life where saftey was important and how you handled it. They'll also ask you whether or not you're a team player.

A speeding ticket will only bite you if it's recent and you're already hired and going for engine service. Don't worry about it otherwise.

Im interviewing for a conductor position and I have one ticket that occured on Dec 5th, 2005 and I was fined and I paid the fine, other than that I have the one accident that was an accident.

So now Im confused, does it matter or doesnt it if I have this ticket or not?

by DJ

Speeding tickets and the like don't matter. Don't worry about them. I don't think they even ask you about that and if they do it's just to see if you'll lie about them. It's more of a honesty test.

DUI and DWI do matter. I think if you've got one in the past three to five years, forget about it.

The interview is nothing to worry about either. Very short and to the point. Mine lasted 10 minutes, most of that time was me saying yes or no.

I was asked to give an example of saftey in my life.

I would say don't worry about saying the "right" thing. Don't lie about things (if you're even asked) and don't be a total idiot and you will get hired.

by Aji-tater

If you are an employee and are training as an engineer, or if you are an engineer coming up for recertification, they are NOT allowed to consider speeding tickets - only driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

If you have not been hired yet, as in your case, there is nothing keeping them from taking the ticket into consideration. You say it's your only one so I don't believe it's any big deal. If you fit all the other requirements it's doubtful that would affect your chances.

Regardless, a speeding ticket is not considered a criminal record.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Not mentioned yet, but probably good advice nonetheless, "wipe the froth from the corners of your mouth, before sitting down". The railroads tend to shy away from foamers, and will readily spot one. Not saying you are one, but just a general statement to anyone reading this. Railroads don't care for railfans, on the job, or off. You haven't loved trains since you were two, you dont have a basement full of trains, you dont know more about the railroad, than "real" railroaders, etc. Try not to smile too big, or giggle when trains are mentioned, etc :wink: :-D :wink: :-D Good Luck!!!!

by ATSF211

Aji-tater wrote:If you are an employee and are training as an engineer, or if you are an engineer coming up for recertification, they are NOT allowed to consider speeding tickets - only driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

If you have not been hired yet, as in your case, there is nothing keeping them from taking the ticket into consideration. You say it's your only one so I don't believe it's any big deal. If you fit all the other requirements it's doubtful that would affect your chances.

Regardless, a speeding ticket is not considered a criminal record.
So what requirements do I have to meet? I would like to know and see if i meet those .

Thanks,
Mike
  by B&M 733

As much as anything else. Let it be CLEAR that you understand you will be LIVING next to the telephone 24/7 for many years and THROROUGHLY accept that. The biggest adjustment many people have to make is that the railroad OWNS you, and your life has to revolve around THEIR schedules.
People are occaisional hired who are not prepared to deal with this, and they usually wash up.
If you can illustrate to them that you "know what you are getting yourself into", that can, and will be a BIG selling point.
  by jg greenwood

B&M 733 wrote:As much as anything else. Let it be CLEAR that you understand you will be LIVING next to the telephone 24/7 for many years and THROROUGHLY accept that. The biggest adjustment many people have to make is that the railroad OWNS you, and your life has to revolve around THEIR schedules.
People are occaisional hired who are not prepared to deal with this, and they usually wash up.
If you can illustrate to them that you "know what you are getting yourself into", that can, and will be a BIG selling point.
Extremely well-put Mr. B&M 733. People "think" they understand exactly what this 24/7 commitment entails. Railroading isn't a job, it's a way of life that many can't adjust to.

by ATSF211

Well, I had my interview and I personally feel like I didnt do very well. While others are telling me I did fine and my reponses to the question were honest and straight to the point.

I still feel uneasy and not really confident about the outlook. How long does one normally have to wait to hear back from BNSF regarding your interview?

Mike