• Track Laborer - Dunsmuir California going in for interview

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by vwyodapink

I am going in on Thursday for the first of hopefully a 2 part interview to be a track laborer for Union Pacific in Dunsmuir Ca. Does anyone have any pointers or tips for the interview, any would be appriciated. I not only have a great desire to make working on trains my life career but also have a great need to get into a career where I can support my up and coming family. Id give my left nut basically just to get this job and put my time in and figure out what exact job I would like to shoot for in my long term goal. Any and all help is appriciated just very paraniod now that I dont have a real shot since from what a local guy said who works with them and this is his exact quote " This job is realative its all who your relatives are" Thanks in advance

by vwyodapink

passed the physical but didnt get the call back after my interview which sucks ..
  by Gnu

Sorry I didn't get back to you in time. Don't give up though. I didn't get anything from my first appl. Fist thing is, don't let them know if you're a railfan. Dickies and a semi dress shirt are ok though. Let them think that you want to lay your roots in the track dept. or whatever position you may be interviewing for. For the track dept. you want them to know you're all about safety, working outdoors in all weather conditions, that you want to learn all the machines and progress to foreman. Track Laborers is a construction job. If you have any experience share it. You want to assure them that you can come in on weekends on a moments notice. Tell them that you're interested in getting a classB license or A. Most positions you bid on after hiring require a class B. You should probably get one in the mean time. Its not too hard. I've seen derelics do it so can you. If you get in, you can transfer to another craft too, but keep that to yourself. Don't trust anybody with personal info. By the way I just got some info from my manager that the Train Service Dept. is gonna hire 15 people each month this year in California so if you're interestd in that "Go To It".
Good Luck Bro and DONT GIVE UP
:Gary
P.S.
After 6 months put in another app.
If you do, gimme a note and I'll see if I can help the process.

by vwyodapink

train service is what i really wanted but have yet to get called in for testing. But i am on the going through applications list now for the next rain service testing. i was super bummed about not getting it but i am going to still try i would love to retire from this company. thanks for the tips i did about everything you said i think it was because i dont have much construction expierence and no class a license which basically everyone else had and a few heavy equipment operators were there as well. i think it was because i had the least to offer other than my desire. Any heads up on anything feel free to share like i said i would give my left nut :P