• Union Pacific Employment Question

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by branek52

Last October, I flew from New Jersey to Tucson, Az., for a hiring session. I am already an engineer, and was hired without problem. Now here's the problem: I was told that the hiring process was Monday thru Friday. I showed up Friday expecting to take my physical, only to be told that the exam would be next Wednesday! I was unable to reschedule my return flight on such short notice and had to go back to work. I left a few voice messages with the hiring people asking for them to get back to me so we could come to some sort of arrangement. I never headr from anyone till I got a rather terse email informing me that the job offer had been withdrawn due to my"refusal to take the physical in a timely manner". My question is, is there a time limit between applications? I am serious about this, but was a bit annoyed that not one person noticed that I was flying clean across the country, at my own expense, and would have to stick to a schedule.

by rhallanger

You must wait 6 months to reapply if you took the written test.

by SteelWheels21

Welcome to the UP way. They don't give a damn about your situation, when you fill out that application you work on their terms. Wait 6 months, apply again and cross your fingers that everything will happen quickly while you're there. That's the best you can hope for.

by slchub

Steel,

Next they will pull him into an investigation for evading assignment! LOL!

by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey Branek, mind if I ask? If you are already running, why go for UP? Curious, as I resigned from them, in 2002, to go work as a consultant/instructor, and eventually resumed running myself, with a contract company. Feel free to PM, if you would like to discuss, privately. Regards :-D

by shortlinerailroader

I1
Last edited by shortlinerailroader on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by rhallanger

shortlinerailroader wrote:I filled out that tedious employment app online last night and checked it this morning just for the heck of it. To my dismay, it said "thank you", not even "Application being reviewed". I have been railroading for about 2 years, so perhaps they are looking for more experienced applicants. That seems pretty quick, though. My current job is OK, but I like to have my options open. Could computer problems (on my end, I'm sure theirs are pretty nice) cause such a quick rejection? Or a termination from a past job?
Did you check your application status online via SSN. It should say "being reviewed", check again tonight.

by paddy78

Hello all, first post on this sweet site you have going here.

I too put in for UP waaaay back in March and have watched my app cycle through tons of different stages. I went to Omaha for a testing session back in April, watched my app get switched to three different jobs, go into "Thank You" twice, and then got called back to Omaha in September for a second interview, and THEN go into "Candidate Being Considered for a Different Posting" before I got the call last week that I was in for the FIRST job I put in for (took the medical on Monday) and now it says "Pending - Background / Medical", but I got my relocation package in the mail today and was informed to be in Omaha on the 30th and book my flight by tomorrow (fat chance...I'm keeping my wheels no futher than an elevator ride away and writing down the mileage in 5 different places!)

So hang in there, I wrote this job off at least three times and I am still in a state of shock that I managed to get this far. Unless the handlers at the medical joint they sent me to swtiched my label with someone who ate too many poppy rolls the night before, I think I am finally good here.

By the way, for all the expereinced UP hands out there, where's the best steak in Omaha? I know all the steak there is hands down better than anything here (right now I am in Colorado, and they must feed the cows here sawdust or something) Already did the Nebraska Beef Company (very good!) and some little brewpub downtown (not as good); but I want the steak of my life on the 30th after that 10 hour drive.

by RR prospect

paddy78 wrote: ... but I got my relocation package in the mail today and was informed to be in Omaha on the 30th and book my flight by tomorrow (fat chance...I'm keeping my wheels no futher than an elevator ride away and writing down the mileage in 5 different places!)
Ok I am new to this site and don't know a thing about railroading, please explain this part of the above posting:
"... writing down the mileage in 5 different places!"

by GOLDEN-ARM

It's two times better, than just writing it down in only three different places................ :-D
  by conductorforlife

Did you ask them if you could take your physical in a location closer to where you live? Got hired on in a different state than where I lived and I took my physical at a regional office about an hour from there. Unless UP won't do that.