• Where to start....

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Justin1225

I know many of you probably have answered this question over and over again, but where does one start if they want to pursue a career as a conductor?

After high school I started a job as a supervisor for a large security agency where I then was laid off. After that I joined the military and that ended with them violating my contract. So for the past 6 months I have been trying to find a new career. Unfortunetly my town is dieing job wise, we have lost many large corporations.

I'm not afraid to work and I have read many topics on these forums so I know what I'm getting myself into. I just need to know where to start. I'm 19 years old right now which is young to most of you, but I have worked everday since I was 13. Help me get on the right track.

by gojoe19

It's hard to say where YOU should start, being that there seems to be various avenues to secure employment with the railroad. Visit the web sites of the companys who operate in your area, find out if they're hiring, and apply online if possible. If you wan't a possible leg up on the competition, look into the conductor training courses offered ( this is listed on the job listings for BNSF : Graduates of the National Academy of Railroad Sciences will be given preferential consideration.), but before you drop several grand on school, make sure you quallify for employment with that company. If you recieved anything other than an honorable discharge you may want to contact human resources to find out if you can be considered for employment with that company. I know you said the military violated your contract, I don't want to insinuate that you did something less than honorable, but if you came out with even a general discharge, sometimes it can look unfavorable. good luck.

re

by Justin1225

It was an honorable discharge. I have visited many of the sites for those trains that come through my area, the man one being Conrail which their site isn't too helpful. I did look into the conductor classes and it appears I will need to go out of state for the period of the classes to take them which is no problem if that is the case.

[/list]

by thebigc

I don't know where you live but NJ Transit is going to be hiring quite a few more Trainmen's classes in 2006. Go to this site and take a look.

re

by Justin1225

I live in Ohio. I just got done applying for 3 Conductor position with Norfolk South. They have positions near me open for entry level conductors where they will send you to learn how to do it. I hope to hear back from them.

by Justin1225

Any idea how long it should take for me to hear from NS if at all? I know the one job was just posted on the 23 the others have been up for a few weeks.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Here are some jobs, in Ohio, that are designed for the "new guys", looking for a start on the railroad: http://www.railamerica.com/usemp.htm
look at the 6 jobs, on the I&O railroad, in Cincinnati, and Washington Court House. Regards :-D

by Justin1225

Okay I just recieved an email from NS asking why I was not at the invitation only hiring session and that I would not be considered for openings again at this time. They asked me to respond with my reason.

The fact is that I never recieved the invitation about the hiring session. Has this happened to anyone else and how to I remedy this? I hope they actually read the responce regarding my absence.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Are you curious as to how they didn't have your contact info? Did you submit a proper email address, phone number and home address? Some roads get "pissed" if you are a no show, and take this as a sign of how you will treat the job. Unfair, absolutely. Reality, unfortunately so. :(

by Justin1225

Yep I even went back and double checked me info after I recieved the email stating I missed the session. Everything was correct. I will see if they respond.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Good luck with that. Perhaps if you can "prove" the Railroad did not notify you, at the address you provided, you might get another chance. Slim chance of that, but , hey, you never know. Did you see the I&O posting I gave you? A Union railroad, with good pay, and benefits. Always a consideration, if the Class 1's "blow you off". Regards :-D

by Justin1225

Yep I saw them. Thanks for all the help. I just went and sent them my resume, hopefully I will hear from either of them.

by kr98664

Some roads get "pissed" if you are a no show, and take this as a sign of how you will treat the job. Unfair, absolutely. Reality, unfortunately so.

Just for giggles, try being late for an interview and watch the reaction. I got called several months ago for a Diesel Electrician interview with the Union Pacific. The information said to be in a certain conference room at a such and such hotel at 9:00am. I made sure I was plenty early to make a good impression, getting there about 20 minutes beforehand. Finding the right room and seeing a handful of guys already in there shooting the breeze, I walked in to get ready. It turns out there was a group interview for another position just winding up from an 8:00 start time and the recruiter thought I was late for that. Of course I didn't immediately understand all that when he bellowed at me to hit the the road and stated that I'd never be hired if I couldn't be on time. Luckily I didn't wet myself and had my interview paperwork ready, so we quickly sorted out the mishap. He laughed about it afterwards but it was sure embarassing at the time.

Karl

by Justin1225

Well to my shock and amazement NS just contacted me back wanted to do another interview at a differn't location. Apparently they realized I did not recieve the invitation to the first one. Wish me luck!