• In Roanoke, need railfanning advice

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by crazy_nip

I am in roanoke, and have been for a couple days on my way home from a trip to the northeast.

I think I have seen everything there is to see in the immediate Roanoke / Salem area.

I ventured out on the whitethorne branch and made it as far as "north fork" before the roads diverged from the railroad to a high degree.

My question is, where are some good, easily accessible places up in the mountains I can see some good action on decent grades?

I am heading back to Florida and my options on how to get back are wide open and I may be open to a detour if I can find some good spots to fan in the hills.

I may end up going through winston-salem on the way back, but it has been my experience in the past that that line is very hit and miss.

Any ideas?
  by therock

How far west have you gone? If you haven't been there yet, you may want to head west toward Montgomery Tunnel (twin bores), Christiansburg (station), Vickers (coaling tower) and the wye at Walton?

On the east side, Blue Ridge is a good spot on the ex-N&W and Huddleston on the ex-VGN. Glasgow & Natural Bridge are good spots north of town, but that may be getting a little too far out.

You're right about the "Punkin" Vine toward Winston. It can be hit & miss; Starkey grade is where NS regularly test demo engines.

by crazy_nip

made it as far as blacksburg, had a blast. Definetly want to get back up there some time in the future when I have more time and a better plan of action