• Rx Medications and the RailRoad...

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by LIRailfan79

i know most RailRoads (for example Amtrak) conduct drug screening as a condition to employment. my question is, if your taking an anti-depressant /anti-anxiety medication (such as Lexapro www.Lexapro.com ) would that show up on the drug test and would it disqualify you for employment?
or are they only testing for alcohol and illegal drugs?

by freshmeat

I can't tell you specifically what most Class I's test for but I can tell you this. If the test comes up positive for a tested substance, be ready with the script, doctor and any other information they may want.

For instance:
You have dental work done on Monday. On Tuesday you put a car on the ground and have to pee in the cup. You test postive for cocaine or one of the caines. If you can direct them to your dentist and he confirms the use of the agent, you're off the hook if the level is consistent with what should be in your system.

You'll receive a call from a MRO, medical review officer. Usually a doctor. He'll generally conduct a phone interview and ask you about how this or that got into your system. Just tell them and direct them to your doctor after you signed a release.

by Chris_S68

I'm not sure what medical conditions are disqualifiers, but I think the thing to do, particularly for the pre-employment screening, is to be completely up front. The one thing they don't tolerate is an attempt to BS them. Even if it's not a disqualifying condition or drug, if you try to cover it up and they find out, you run the risk of being completely sunk. For pre-employment, I'd avoid leaving any questions in their minds. I would consider needing to explain yourself after the fact a big disadvantage. Same goes for an investigation. If you're on, or have recently taken, something prescribed by a doctor that might raise a flag, tell them right then and there. Why wait until after the fact when, at that point, it amounts to damage control?

by SnoozerZ49

Amtrak also has a medical review officer. If they have any questions you can place them in contact with your physician who can explain the perscription items.

by freshmeat

Sound advise all around.

by Ken W2KB

I believe that a blanket disqualification for prescription drug use would violate the ADA. That said, certain medical conditions the treatment of which could inhibit job performance, particularly safety-related jobs, could be taken into consideration by an employer.

by charlie6017

I work as a school bus driver for a district in western NY State, and we are under consistant drug testing. I have taken Lexapro and other anti-depressants. I have never failed a test--so I would assume a railroad employee would not have anything to worry about as well.

by thebigc

I work for NJ Transit and we're obligated to notify the carrier, via Medical Services, of any prescriptions to be taken.

I'd play it safe and notify your respective Medical Officer because trying to explain away a false positive isn't easy. :(

by BoRhyne

already on anti-depressants? thinking of hiring on the railroad? most people i know get on them after they go to work for the railroad...you're already ahead of the game man...