• trying my best to get hired

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by foggy83

I've searched all the forums and couldn't find much about what work experiences look the best to the railroad recruiters.

I have delivered newspapers for 2 years while attending college. Does the fact that I go to work at 1 AM 7 days a week look good on my work history to a railraod?

What do they think about truck drivers? They're gone from home for extended periods of time, work all hours of the day, etc... I wouldn't mind driving an 18 wheeler for a couple of years if it helped me get on with the railroad.

Any comments are appreciated....
DJ

by GOLDEN-ARM

Why be a truck driver, for a couple of years, unless you intend to BE a truck driver. Just apply to all the roads, and get hired. If you have the cash, go to one of the "conductors colleges", such as AMDG, or NARS, and the railroads will come looking for you. A warm body, with a strong pulse, clean record, and no drug use/alcohol abuse is all that is required,, along with an able body, and a high school diploma. This certainly isn't the hardest job to apply for, but it is a hard one to adapt to. Be prepared for a 24/7 existence, that revolves soley around the railroad, and not your life, or your families'. If this sounds like what you are looking for, then GO FOR IT!!! Regards :wink:
  by Gnu

There aren't any current openings in Tenn. for UP, but the school is free and Ther're hiring everywhere else. I'm sure you'll see something in your area soon.
Good Luck:
MOW

by BoRhyne

well, you've already had a paper route huh? i would go straight to trainmaster training then...seems like thats all the previous experience you need...