• X203 - What is it?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by clehman

Although I don't see NYC or the herald in this photo, I believe this is a railroad-owned rail detector car set. I took a photo of one exactly like it on the Burlington MANY years ago, and it had the Burlington Route emblem on it.
  by ChiefTroll

The original Sperry rail flaw detector cars were two units - a power car and a trailer with the detection gear. But, I think (dangerous, but I'll try to find a good reference with a car number) that this set was owned by the Association of American Railroads. The AAR, in the early 1930's, was developing their own method for rail flaw detection. The AAR used residual magentism, and Sperry used (uses) a heavy electric current (plus an ultrasonic system for the past 45 years or so).

I think the CB&Q might have bought one of the AAR magnetic car sets. The NYC had their own induction car, the X-8015, which carried Sperry equipment. It was a single unit gas-electric car.

by NYC_Dave

Thanks for the leads, Carl and Chief Troll. It looks like this was CB&Q and not NYC. A search turned up the following information on the Burlington Route Historical Society website - Tow/detector car #X-203/X-204 AAR.
http://www.burlingtonroute.com/directry ... hoto/t.htm