• Any operating steam locomotives at Allaire State Park?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by jp1822

None are operating at present, and they are not predicting a return to steam until the Fall of 2004, if not later. They are rebuilding a new steam engine, a Porter, which will launch their return to steam power. Many of the steam engines on their property are not owned directly by the museum. They made a decision to concentrate their resources and man power to rebuilding/restoring steam engines that they own directly. They have recently gained ownership of the Shay engine, but I don't think that is next to be cycled through and returned to operating condition. Rather I think it will be another rebuild. Work seems to be progressing quite well on their handicap accessible coaches.

by hsr_fan

Thanks for the info! I'm glad they haven't abandoned steam locomotives...I'll look forward to seeing that engine whenever it's completed!

by steemtrayn

check out their site

http://www.njmt.org/

by TAMR213

Whatever happened to the steam engine they used to operate there? It was running last time I was there. The crew was always really cool about letting people into the cab for rides, for no extra charge (I think I've been in it like 4 times or something).

by transit383

None are operating at present, and they are not predicting a return to steam until the Fall of 2004, if not later. They are rebuilding a new steam engine, a Porter, which will launch their return to steam power.
Would this be the locomotive they acquired from Bayville back in 2000? I had heard that it was very unlikely that locomotive would ever run again, so if it is the same locomotive, this is very good news.

They also acquired two coaches from Bayville at the same time (along with some panel track and signals). One of the coaches is being restored and converted to an ADA accessible trailer.

For a photo of the locomotive and a trailer in Bayville, click on the link below and then click on the third link up from the bottom. The caption reads Click here to see a Caroll Park and Western steam locomotive and coaches located adjacent to Route 9 in Bayville. The Pine Creek Railroad recently acquired this equipment and is looking to restoring it to operating condition.

http://www.geocities.com/transit383/pcr.html