• UP Application average review time?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by watersky

Hello Guys, can anyone tell me how long it takes for UP to review employment applications before you are contacted (Hopefully). I recently submitted an application for Dunsmuir, CA four days before the deadline. After I submitted it, UP extended the deadline to apply for three more months and changed the wording from "openings" to "anticapated openings". I am eager to get on with UP and would hate to wait another few months before my application is reviewed. Anyway, if anyone has a comment about this I would be grateful. Thanks, watersky...

by Fatal

It took UP about 3 1/2 months to contact me.

by freshmeat

I don't know what UP's problem is. The article associated with this hotlink seems to make the statement that UP ought to be hiring across the board and to look at their web site, one would get that impression as well.

http://www.utu.org/worksite/detail_news ... leID=14001

As the article states, it seems like the UP's management is asleep at the switch. Two major problems like this in such a short time indicate that either 1) management cannot recognize the seriousness of the problem; 2) they don't care; or 3) the management, (executive levels) are scared to spend a dollar to save the line. I've witnessed production "meltdowns" like this when I worked for Boeing. Customers believe that the problems are systemic and begin to look for other vendors. In UP's case, the Surface Transportation Board may allow the take over of certain lines to get things moving again.

Is this the end of UP, I doubt it. Will the executive's negligence be taken out on the workers who have had nothing to do with these system wide problems. Bet your butt they will.

I recently applied at BNSF. I was made a conditional job offer within a week of taking the test, had my physical the next week and was notified in time to give my employer 3 weeks notice I was leaving. Now if UP is in such dire straights, they ought to pull their head out of the sand and look at the way BNSF is meeting this hiring boom.

by MegaDave

Wow! that's crazy... I never heard of a company taking that long to get back to people! You would think they would be calling everyone asap...I put in my app. a few weeks ago. I wonder how long it will take? :wink:
LOL

by SteelWheels21

I noticed on a couple of my UP applications that it was classified as an "anticipated" opening, but for the most part that designation has been pulled down. BNSF has it on the ball, both jobs that I got invited to interview for I heard back in less than a week after the posting came down (one job they emailed me the next day).