• Conductor Jobs

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Backtrax

I just had an offer with CSX to become a conductor in Indiana. What is life really like as a conductor? Is CSX a good railroad to work for? I am working on a master's degree and am deciding to pursue the railroad or education. The way I figure it, if I finish school and still want to be a conductor, I'll do it. The education is something that can't be taken away from me.

What do you all think? What are the best lines to work for? How do you get hired on at UP, BN, etc. as conductors? Thanks for all the help.

by Aji-tater

Just read the threads down below and also look under "General Discussion - Railroad Operations". Between that forum and this one, your questions have been asked and answered in one form or another several times.
  by slchub

Posted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:34 am Post subject: Here's my thoughts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this one earlier in this forum, and it still applies.

Well, you should consider a few things before jumping into this game. Ask youself if you really want to give up those weekends off/holidays with the famliy, etc. Would you rather sleep in your own bed, or a bed that is set-up as a crew bed, where the sheets are swapped out, the tub and sink are barely cleaned after your co-worker has checked-out to catch his train home. Are you willing to sit in the cab and wait for the block to clear and move one block up for 3-4 hours before you can get into the yard? Does the thought of being alone walking to the 166th axle in a snowstorm at night to check a hotbox appeal to you? How about being in the yard at 0200 pulling pins between the 13th and 14th track with only 3' between cars and each track is moving in the opposite direction. Or trying to cover your butt when the MYO or MTO or other Manager is giving you a FTX or otherwise to try and fire your butt for 30 days.

Not that I am trying to disway you from the RR. But don't let railfanning or images of shooting down the rails at 70 MPH bring images that just aren't there. Yes, we do get paid well. Yes, the railroad has paid for my house and cars and provided many things for me and the family. I appreciate them all. But the calls from CMS at 0210 for an on duty time of 0340, the missed baseball games with junior, and telling friends and family to plan events around thier schedule, not mine, because I'll never know when the board is going to drop or move up is a constant reminder of the business I am in. Training? Well, you'll have plenty of it, although it has been parred down a bit. You'll need to know the rule book inside and out.....goto this website for the GCOR....The rule book that UPRR uses, and you must know. Most of the info. is correct, although some portions of the GCOR has been updated with SSI's, and the Air Brake section has been revamped as of April 1, 2004.

http://www.sdrm.org/faqs/rulebook/toc.html

just to get a look at some of the info. you'll be required to know...if your RR uses the GCOR. Tests and quizes almost everyday, and a couple of finals here and there which you must pass at 85%...you do get a re-take if you bomb..again..get 85% the second try....if not...then you are out.

If working holidays and nights and weekends, and having a closer "realtionship" with the guys on the board instead of your family sounds appealing, go for it. But if you don't know or are the least bit unsure, don't do it. Let another guy who wants to get on the rails come on board. Good Luck in your decision. The railroad is a great life. And it is a lifestyle, not just a job.
  by Delta

Backtrax wrote:I just had an offer with CSX to become a conductor in Indiana. What is life really like as a conductor? Is CSX a good railroad to work for? I am working on a master's degree and am deciding to pursue the railroad or education. The way I figure it, if I finish school and still want to be a conductor, I'll do it. The education is something that can't be taken away from me.

What do you all think? What are the best lines to work for? How do you get hired on at UP, BN, etc. as conductors? Thanks for all the help.
Life as a conductor can be pretty tough. As noted, you WILL miss many events in your family's and friends' lives. Pool and extra board work is very unpredictable. But it is what you make it. Learn to prioritize, make the best of the time you do have, and above all, don't be so greedy or put yourself in such a financial condition where you are unwilling or unable to take time off. Much has already been written on this subject. Read what you can here and other sites, (the The RailForum is comprised mostly of actual rails), and try to get a glimpse of people's attitudes and opinions. But in the end, just about everyone will tell you that you really have to experience the job to know if it is one that you will want to or are even able to work over the long term.

Sometimes work or college is a tough call. If you want a career in train service, that intial seniority date is more important than a college degree. If you want to move into management or on to other industries, that college degree will prove more beneficial. Is there any way that you can work on your degree through a correspondence program while working for a RR? My gut feeling, the advice I would give my own children, says go ahead and finish up the degree first. As you said, it can't be taken away from you and you'll have a backup that many in train service do not have.

As for the best RR to work for, I may be a little biased because I work for them, but in past polls of employees that I have seen, the BNSF rates either at or near the top of RRs to work for. I would definitely choose them over the UP. But I would also first decide where I wanted to live and work, then find the railroad that best fits with those desires and put up with them.

by jg greenwood

Exercise caution when contemplating hiring-on with the BN. I started in Sep-97 with them, by Oct-2000 I had been furloughed more than 20 times. Be damned sure there is a long term need for any additional hiring at the terminal you choose. In regards to training, you can't find any better than the BN. Unlike some railroads, you aren't thrown to the wolves before you're fully qualified.

by Delta

jg greenwood wrote:In regards to training, you can't find any better than the BN. Unlike some railroads, you aren't thrown to the wolves before you're fully qualified.
Are you kidding? 15 weeks of a student conductor training and a couple more for RCO is nowhere NEAR "fully qualified".

by jg greenwood

Delta wrote:
jg greenwood wrote:In regards to training, you can't find any better than the BN. Unlike some railroads, you aren't thrown to the wolves before you're fully qualified.
Are you kidding? 15 weeks of a student conductor training and a couple more for RCO is nowhere NEAR "fully qualified".
Compared to 2-weeks in the classroom and a couple more weeks on the job, without any road trips, 15-weeks is an eternity!

by Delta

jg greenwood wrote:
Delta wrote:
Compared to 2-weeks in the classroom and a couple more weeks on the job, without any road trips, 15-weeks is an eternity!
I guess that's true, but even after 15-17 weeks of training these new guys hardly know jack sh!t about railroading. Not that it's their fault, it just takes more time than that to learn.

by jg greenwood

Delta wrote:
jg greenwood wrote:
Delta wrote:
I guess that's true, but even after 15-17 weeks of training these new guys hardly know jack sh!t about railroading. Not that it's their fault, it just takes more time than that to learn.
You're correct. A few months hardly qualifies anyone, for anything. The good ole days of tagging along with the cond. or the two brakeman for several years is long gone. It's all "shake & bake", wave the magic-wand and presto, you're qualified. Qualified to get your a$$ in trouble that is!