Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

by kpiersol

Does anyone know if the abandonment of the PC (PRR) Schuylkill Branch (which paralleled the Reading most of the way from Philadelphia to Reading) coincided with or preceded the formation of Conrail 4/1/76?

Here a shot I took in 1973 at the yard off Front Street:

http://kpiersol2.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=205680

Kim Piersol

by rdganthracite

The part of the line from Frackville to Shenendoah was sold to the Reading in the late '50s or early 60's. The line up through New Boston was intact into the '60's but was cut back to Hamburg sometime around 1970. At that time a few sections, including one near Auburn were given (Sold?) to the Reading. The rest of the line through Hamburg remained until Conrail.

by kevikens

Great shot. Too bad the PennCentral did not seek the help of guy mentioned in the sign above the hood.
  by 2nd trick op

The link to the Wilkes-Barre Branch via Tomhicken/Nescopeck was severed by flooding in 1953. This was concurrent with the time when PRR sold the Shenandoah line, and I have been told that arrangements to serve a strip mine near Rock Glen and the just-opened Valmont Industial Park at West Hazleton were delegated to Lehigh Valley. This would have allowed PRR to cut back service at least as far as New Boston and probably to Pottsville.