• Fred Beach, NYC Company Photographer

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by latonyco

I am still trying to determine when Fred Beach passed on. It is my understanding that, during his career with the NYC, he was involved primarily with motion picture photography. He made quite a few feature productions which have been since made available in current video formats.
Most of the still photography for the NYC was handled by the very talented Ed Nowak. He worked for the Central from the early forties until the PC merger. He was an early pioneer in the use of color during his time with our favorite railroad. I have read somewhere that he and Mr Beach occasionally worked side by side on various location assignments out on the road. His work is featured in quite a few books where the NYC is the main subject matter.

by Otto Vondrak

Ed was a member of Rochester (NY) Chapter NRHS for many years, and lived in the area until he retired to Florida, maybe in the 1990s? I think Ed is still with us. Sorry to wander off topic...

-otto-