• A new customer on the Colebrookdale branch?

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

by rushhour

Was on Rt. 100 this morning and noticed that at "CG" in Pottstown that NS left a single covered hopper with a big load on a flat car. Did I miss something??? The Colebrookdale branch just gets the covered hoppers for Boyertown, but now I see this flat car and I'm stating to wonder if the railroad got a new custumer. Any ideas on this?

by Schuylkill Valley

Yeah Rush,
That was sitting there on Thursday afternoon, it`s a flat car with trash containers , Maybe WM . With the Pottsgrove landfill closing ,their shipping by rail . who knows?

Len.

by rushhour

Yeah perhaps things may come back to this branch :D

Take care
  by jrevans

&nbsp I think that one of the threads on the old system, dealt with the possiblity of them reopening the Quarry at the end of the Colebrookdale branch. Any news on this? I remember exploring the abandonded part of the line last summer (I was really suprised to see the old foundry company in Boyertown) and didn't see any serious encroachment that would stop the line from being put back in. It cracked me up to see all of the NIMBY "stop the quarry" signs in yards over the last two years.

How dare a company want to create jobs in our area! :-)
  by jrevans

Since the last post on this subject, I've moved to Berks County, just a few miles North of Boyertown and am curious about the status of the Colebrookdale branch.

Also, anyone have any pictures of the Northern end of the line. I'm curious where the tracks ended as I swear that I can see some ROW next to route 100, across the road from the little plaza where the Papa John's is. Google maps doesn't even show the existing tracks from Pottstown to Boyertown.

by Schuylkill Valley

Hi all,
With the new wal- mart going in up, on the out side of Boyertown I dought that the tracks could go back in . The tracks are still in over old Rt. 100 which is the YMC green bridge, the tracks continue through the old New Berlinville foundery but then stop.

Leonard
( Pottstown, Pa. )

by Tom_E_Reynolds

Trash cars are back on the line 10/1/2005, sitting on the bridge over High Street in Pottstown! I will try to get pics!

by Schuylkill Valley

The trash cars have been sitting there for two weeks, theres a cover hopper on the end next to CG interlocking. The cars go almost reach back to King st.. The bridge over West High St. needs a paint job bad. it uses to read Reading Lines in yellow with the bridge painted green.

Len.

by Tom_E_Reynolds

Here are some pics of the Trash cars and EPRY 9423.

Who are the cars for? I pass the bridge at least weekly, and haven’t seen them in about a year. The last time I saw them, they were in the Boyertown yard, and very clean and green. Today, they are faded, if they are even the same cars. Note the “Radioactive” comments written on the side of all the cars.

This one (below) clearly shows the words “Radioactive”. I doubt that is OSHA approved!

Here are some taken back in Nov 04 when the SW1? Was sitting, plugged in, but turned off at the RT100 crossing. An odd place, I thought, to park an engine.

Is it PRL or EPRY? I know EPRY is in Quakertown too. I see both on the engines?

by metman499

I believe that both the EPRY and PRL are owned by Larry Nolan and are part of the same "family" of shortlines.

by geep39

PRL which stands for Pennsylvania Rail Lines, and EPRY are owned by JOHN Nolan, who also owns the Perkiomen, the Lancaster & Northern, the operation around Norristown, and of course, the Quakertown and Colebrookdale operations, in addition to some others.

by metman499

Whoops, my bad.

by glennk419

The treads on the flatcar wheels look fairly shiny so it doesn't appear that they've been there too long. One would also think that if there was anything radioactive in the cars, there would be placards that at least looked a little more official. Of course without a Geiger counter, i also don't think I'd be playing around those cars a whole lot.
  by jrevans

I drive past that way at least once a week, so I'll try to see if anything new is up. I bet parking the SW-1 there caused a lot of driver's to do a double take....

JimE
  by jrevans

In talking with a very reliable source, I heard that there was a rather large (around 150 feet) washout somewhere on the line. Anyone have any more details about this?