• How far east did the Alphabet Route go?

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

by SPUI

From what I can tell, the Alphabet Route began at Toledo, with connections to the Nickel Plate at Bellevue for Chicago and St. Louis. How far east did the "Alpha Jet" trains go before handing off freight to another line? Did any Alpha Jets run directly to Baltimore, or did they all pass through Reading?

by David Hutchinson

From what I can remember, the Alpha Jets came off the B&O at Park Junction to the Reading and then up to Bound Brook on the CNJ and then to Jersey City.

by westernfalls

NYC&STL-Bellevue-W&LE-PittsburghJct-P&WV-Connellsville-WM-Lurgan-RDG-Allentown-L&HR-Maybrook-NYNY&H
A quick little article about it with references at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabet_Route
Last edited by westernfalls on Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by SPUI

David Hutchinson wrote:From what I can remember, the Alpha Jets came off the B&O at Park Junction to the Reading and then up to Bound Brook on the CNJ and then to Jersey City.
I'm pretty sure it didn't use the B&O at all; from what I understand the WM was kept separate until after the Conrail merger killed the route (which in its final days didn't go to Maybrook or Boston, thanks to Penn Central killing the section over the Poughkeepsie Bridge) because the B&O/C&O didn't want to deal with the Alphabet Route.

Was Toledo considered to be on the route? How about Baltimore?

by David Hutchinson

Sorry... I was thinking of train 685 and the like........

by David Hutchinson

Just had to go to my old employee timetables on this one....

I will list the station and times shown for the two trains, taken from both the Philadelphia and Shamokin Division Timetables...

Alpha Jet 1 West Daily= West Falls at 8:40 PM
Norristown Jct. at 9:05 PM
Rutherford at 11:35 PM and 12:20 AM
Lurgan at 2:00 AM

This is from Philadelphia 1957 and Shamokin 1958 Timetables- the Shamokin TT lists it as Daily Except Sunday???

Alpha Jet 3 West Daily= Rutherford at 8:20 AM
Lurgan at 9:50 AM

This is from the Shamokin 1958 TT... NOT listed in the Phila 1957 TT

Alpha Jet 12 East Daily Ex.Sun= Lurgan at 1:55 AM
Rutherford at 3:15 and 4:45 AM
Norristown Jct. at 6:35 AM
Port Richmond at 8:35 AM

This is from the Philadelphia 1957 and Shamokin 1958 Timetables

Alpha Jet 2 East Daily= Lurgan at 2:00 PM
Rutherford at 3:45 PM

This is from the 1958 Shamokin TT.. NOT listed in the Phila 1957 TT

Alpha Jet 4 East Daily= Lurgan at 5:15 PM