• Bellefontaine Ohio page

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Roger Hensley

While assisting Hannu Luukannel from Finland to gather NYC information, a lot of information passed through me to Hannu about Bellefontaine Ohio, I saw that I had enough to create a Bellefontaine page on my 'Railroads of Madison County' and linked it to the Big Four Memories page. If you are interested in seeing it, the direct URL is:
http://madisonrails.railfan.net/bellefontaine.html

Corrections? Additions? More material? Let me know.
  by lbagg91833

ROGER: Excellent review of the CCC&STL/NYCRR at "BN". I worked to/from BN as a road bkm/3rd man in 1955/56....it was quite a RR town. Thnx for posting...LARRY BAGGERLY

by arnstg

Having trouble printing the pages. Comes up fine but then shrinks to 1/2 size. When I push to "print", the page is over double sized.

A "guru" I know tried and had similar results.

What am I not doing to get it to print properly?

HELP! Jerry

by Roger Hensley

I'm sorry? What are you trying to print?

I print from Netscape or Firefox where the page print can be set to 'size to fit' as nearly everything I try to print with IE comes out wrong and oversize (thank you Bill Gates) no matter who's site I visit.

You can e-mail me directly at [email protected] and I'll try to help you.
  by pinecreekrr

Following up on the Bellefontaine thread, I'm wondering if anyone can identify the diesel types used on the St. Mary's local or local to Belle Center out of Bellefontaine in the 50's or 60's ? I understand that they may have been the same job at times.

Photos on the Railroads of Madison County site show what appears to be a Baldwin switcher, perhaps a DS-4-4-10 though I cannot read the engine number from the web site.

I'd also like to learn something about a typical, if there was such a thing, consist of these local trains.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Bruce
  by pinecreekrr

I found the original Trains Magazine article from July 1963 here at the State Historical Society Library in Madison, WI and, with magnification, was able to make out the locomotive number on the engine pictured with the St. Mary's local.

It is NYC Baldwin switcher #9307 which would make it a 1945 delivered DS-4-4-10 otherwise known as NYC Class DES-12B, a 1000 horsepower switcher. This Class had four exhaust stacks rather than the single stack often seeen on the VO-1000. It has pilot striping and yellow handrails in this photo from Simon E. Herring.

Anyone with typical consist information for the St. Mary's or Belle Center trains of the late fifties or early sixties ?

Bruce Luecke