• DL shop

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

by nessman

Dumb question:

Why not install a tachometer in the cab so when the engine is starting to red-line the engineer can back off the throttle before any damage occurs to the engine?

by alcodoc

The throttle was in "idle". A tachometer would not have helped as the engineer had no control over the engine speed......hence the failure.

by nessman

alcodoc wrote:The throttle was in "idle". A tachometer would not have helped as the engineer had no control over the engine speed......hence the failure.
That'll do it. I suppose loco's don't have a throttle lever and cable like you'd find on an old lawnmower, eh? Thanks for the explanation!

by ATK

Alcodoc, thanks for your comments. 4118 has a straight amplidyne system, correct?

by alcodoc

No, it does not. The 4118 was changed to Simpified Amplidyne in 1959 following an accident.

Alcodoc
  by sallenparks

How much of the power is down for work last time I was there over the summer just about everything was in south scranton.

by Alcoman

Any new paint jobs in the works?

by sallenparks

well I know some had to be down for generator work right of course this was back in like July.