• LIRR - Asst. Conductor

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Myla

Has anyone who attended the LIRR, June 29th, hiring fair been contacted for a panel interview? I heard a training class was going to begin in Sept. 05.

Best Regards to all

by LIRailfan79

how do you even get contacted in the first place? i've been sending my resume in twice a week now for a few months.
i think i am qualified, i have a bachelors degree in Business, i'm currently enrolled in the accounting certificate program at hofstra, i have a "real" job right now (have for over 3 years-since graduating college) and i have loads of customer service and cash handling experience.
i think at the very least i should make the 1st cut.

oh well, good luck to everyone who did get called. let me know if anyone gets into the training class, i would like to know what its like, how many people don't make it through etc...

by CSX Conductor

Maybe you're over-qualified. LOL :P Did you mention anything about having a thing for trains? That might have killed it right there.

As for Ms. Myla, usuallly many of the passenger roads tend to try to hire as many women as possible because of the equal opportunity thing. To this day many of them hire in the "reverse discrimination" mode which gives preference to "minorities" and women first.............which is b.s. because it actually discriminates against white males. :(

Anyways, from what I have heard, LIRR is one of the top paying commuter railroads. With that in mind, good luck to you both. :wink:

by jg greenwood

CSX Conductor wrote:Maybe you're over-qualified. LOL :P Did you mention anything about having a thing for trains? That might have killed it right there.

As for Ms. Myla, usuallly many of the passenger roads tend to try to hire as many women as possible because of the equal opportunity thing. To this day many of them hire in the "reverse discrimination" mode which gives preference to "minorities" and women first.............which is b.s. because it actually discriminates against white males. :(

Anyways, from what I have heard, LIRR is one of the top paying commuter railroads. With that in mind, good luck to you both. :wink:
If "we whiteys" can hang in there long enough, we'll be the minority! How foolish of me, discrimination doesn't exist against us, does it?!

by LIRailfan79

CSX Conductor wrote:Maybe you're over-qualified. LOL :P Did you mention anything about having a thing for trains? That might have killed it right there.
no, i didn't mention anything about having an appreciation for trains (and in reality i'm not one those people who stands at a platform for hours taking pictures, i really have more of an interest in the history of railroads and how they contributed to society).
Although being a railfan may be true, i do not see how it would convince them that i would be a valued employee. i would be a good employee for many other reasons, each one more relevant than saying "gee whiz i sure do like to watch the choo choo trains roll by".

by CSX Conductor

LIRailfan79 wrote: Although being a railfan may be true, i do not see how it would convince them that i would be a valued employee.
As I mentioned before, they would prefer to avoid hiring buffs. :wink:

by chrisjz

If you do happen to be a buff and you hire out, do not mention to anyone that you like trains! If you do your co-workers will accost you. Most don't like buffs and it's understandable once you see what dangerous lengths buffs go to sometimes.

by Swedish Meatball

LIrailfan, When you say you have been sending in your resume are you sending a hard copy or through there web page. It is my understanding that the only accept resumes through the web. If you did it this way you should have at least been notorized that they have recieved your resume. It can take up to 5 years to get hired by the way. They receive thousands of applicants for these jobs, and only hire about 25 to 30 per year.