• Genesee & Wyoming and the former Lackawanna main line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

A couple of questions about the original Genesee & Wyoming Railroad...

- When did they acquire the former Lackawanna (DL&W) from Retsof to Groveland?

- Why did they acquire this track?

- When did Delaware & Hudson get trackage rights to haul salt from G&W?

Thanks!

-otto-
  by umtrr-author

Checking my stash of Official Guides...

The May-June 1976 edition, the first one with Conrail, also shows a map of the "new" Delaware and Hudson which includes the routes to New York, Philadelphia and Washington. There is also a what looks like a branch from Attica through Greigsville and Groveland to connect with the Dansville and Mount Morris. The map spreads across two pages and the part we really want to see is right in the seam, of course, but Attica is specifically marked. So it could be that D&H got rights to haul salt when they got the rest of the trackage rights from the formation of Conrail. (The April-May Official Guide has the "traditional" D&H map.)

With the caveat of lead times to publish Official Guides, the first one I have which shows the G&W with "Table 2" from Greigsville to Groveland is the March/April 1983 addition. The March/April 1981 OG is the preceding one I have in the Research Accumulation and it does not show this. So it could be between those two dates, more or less. The D&MM entry in that March/April 1983 issue hasn't caught up yet; it still shows connection with Conrail at Groveland. And the D&H system map in that issue still shows a tiny appendage marked "Greigsville" off a thick line from Binghamton to Buffalo.

As to "why," I'll leave that to the professionals...