• Hillsboro (Hillsborough) Branch

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by NHV 669

artman wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:06 pm That crossing is likely to see some work done on it in about 5 years.
Probably not, considering it was replaced Sunday night.
  by newpylong

They have no intention of abandoning the Hillsborough Branch.
  by newpylong

I was told today that Suburban Propane in Milford wants to start getting cars again. I thought this was interesting because they made a business decision to stop getting service to all satellite facilities direct quite a number of years ago. Also I think the Hillsborough Sub is Excepted track right now.
  by Ken Rice

Seems like rail ought to be cheaper than truck for a bulk commodity like propane, and it seems like CSX is serious about making service reliable.
What does “Excepted” track mean?
  by NHV 669

Less than 10mph, or business as usual on the Hillbilly.
  by QB 52.32

And, 5 hazmat cars per train limit like for propane, loaded or residual.
  by newpylong

(1) No train shall be operated at speeds in excess of 10 m.p.h.;
(2) No occupied passenger train shall be operated;
(3) No freight train shall be operated that contains more than five cars required to be placarded by the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR Part 172); and
(4) The gage on excepted track shall not be more than 4'10¼ inches.

From CFR Part 213.4
  by Ken Rice

Thanks.
The new ties should help with #4 :-)
  by BowdoinStation

The tracks must be in a much improved state of repair. NA-1 took a heavy 'high & wide" transformer up the branch that got offloaded around Caldwell Drive in Amherst the other day!
  by Diogenes

I've been living in Merrimack about 5 minutes from Nashua for almost four years now, and I hear the trains go by all throughout the day, yet I've never seen them. Once I was near the tracks and heard the train chugging by, so I raced my car down and it was already gone. I was starting to think I was crazy until I found this forum. Is there a schedule the trains follow? Also, is the track that goes by Peddler's Daughter still in use?
  by newpylong

No schedule up there.

I had to look up what the Peddler's Daughter is/was. Yes that's the branch in question here.