• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by newpylong

First through job to Keag planned 12/1. Irving traffic moving back off the CP. Crew change in Waterville on 426/427.
  by newpylong

That is their plan, crew change in Waterville (stated above).
  by S1f3432

Crews started installing new switches at Leeds Jct. today.
  by BM6569

Work seems to be coming along in preparation for the CWR install. Crossings getting done, now switches. Hopefully they have a good stretch of weather into December with minimal snow
  by mrj1981

I'm curious - once 426/427 are extended all the way to Keag - will 426 essentially drop its entire train at RIgby and pick up a whole new train to take north? Or, are there cars that originate at points south of Rigby (from Selkirk at least, I guess) which would be able to continue on through Rigby to Keag for interchange?

Regarding this "interchange traffic" that's currently handed off at NMJ - I really have no sense as to whether most/all of that is traffic that originates (or terminates) in Maine or if some of it would be true bridge traffic, from the perspective of the former MEC.

I suppose CSX has multiple points of interchange with CPKC, but will only have one with NBSR. Is there NBSR traffic that CPKC currently hands off to CSX at a location other than Keag? If so, I assume all of that traffic would switch to Keag now?
  by newpylong

Yes there is traffic to Irving that comes and goes all the way to Selkirk. I presume 426/427 will just be swapping blocks everywhere.
  by NHV 669

mrj1981 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:41 pm I suppose CSX has multiple points of interchange with CPKC, but will only have one with NBSR. Is there NBSR traffic that CPKC currently hands off to CSX at a location other than Keag? If so, I assume all of that traffic would switch to Keag now?
CPKC train G16 ferries cars between Brownville Junction and Northern Maine Junction; most of that is Irving bound or sourced haulage traffic that would move back to the Keag line once it's reopened.

They've been running at least one 6 axle unit on that job quite frequently as of late; yesterday's train was 77 cars. I guess this is still a M-F (Sunday-Thursday overnight) job for now.
  by bostontrainguy

I don't think this could have gone better. This is the most exciting thing to happen to New England railroads in my lifetime.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by newpylong

Agreed. Long term health and operations are a huge question mark but for the immediate future CSX is really the only buyer that has the free cash to modernize the property.
  by S1f3432

R. J. Corman's crews were installing new rail west of High street in Auburn after lunch today
and Holland was welding rail in the yard at Danville Jct.
  by F74265A

I guess we find out tomorrow if the Dec 1 date to reopen interchange is real
  by CN9634

They posted the jobs for bid, so not sure it'll open up exactly tomorrow (unless they use existing crews) but should start next week I believe.

I was told 40 car limits to start, and they will be structured as turn jobs.
  by petahgriff8316

F74265A wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:11 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gos9vvwSvv4

switch heaters being installed in keag
ever so slowly CSX is indeed turning this into a real railroad
That's great commentary, and funny to see the guy figuring it out from people's comments. It might only be 25, but upgraded (newer than 50s/60s) infrastructure is exciting.