Railroad Forums 

• CSX Track Upgrades & Infrastructure of Pan Am

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1621207  by arthur d.

MEC407 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:00 am
rustyrails wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:27 pm Is there anywhere that lists all the detectors on the old PanAm now CSX system?
Yes
The lists are not UTD though.
There is a new detector at 253.3 / Elm street ,Newmarket, and the one at 262 .46/ Powder Mill road Exeter, was moved closer to Sanborn Road E.Kingston (264.45) more than a few years ago and now appears to be only a high and wide detector.

There is also a new equipment scanner at the RTE 33 grade crossing in Greenland on the Portsmouth branch.
 #1621908  by neman2

neman2 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:43 pm

Also a new signal tower bridge has been dropped off at Town Farm Rd. crossing for CPF-309. See attached photos.

Apologies everyone, I have to make a major correction to my post. This was not for replacement of the CPF-309 signal, but for a new over height detector , hot box detector, and AEI reader that was installed at MP-311 (future MP 126) east of Gilson Rd., Littleton.

If I can find a way to access the area I'll get a picture.
 #1621916  by Ken Rice

Interesting neman2. There (was?) an AEI reader installed at CPF-312 at the boundary between PAS and PAR to record when cars went between PAS and PAR. If I recall correctly a rr friend told me they had to get special software for it to account for locals working the milling area doing runarounds and whatnot through CPF-312. I wonder if they’ve decided to move the AEI scanner a mile in from the end of PAR to keep it simple.
 #1622162  by atholrail

Don't know what the plans are for Manchester but seems interesting. Also tie job starting soon on the Hillsboro.

https://www.manchesterinformation.com/p ... manchester
 #1622678  by markhb

I'm not sure what the occasion is, but there are at least 8 workers from CSX cutting rail just west of the Forest Ave. crossing at Morrill's Corner in Portland (Me.) I don't know if they're talking out the switch to the siding for Plasmine, or upgrading it, or what.

Note: this is on the Bishop St. / Warren Ave. branch.
 #1622743  by FatNoah

I don't know if they're talking out the switch to the siding for Plasmine, or upgrading it, or what.
If I had to bet money, I'd say that they're removing the siding. From property records, it was sold to Benjamin Construction in 2020, and is now being advertised for lease: https://www.dunham-group.com/uploads/33 ... ochure.pdf

I guess Plasmine wasn't really telling the truth when then say that they looked forward to availing themselves of the unprecedented visibility into their supply chain through the ShipCSX platform that will enable them to track and manage their shipments with much greater precision and confidence.

Side note: that's why the support statements were hilarious. Their main plant is located on the M&M in Alabama, so presumably (taking their statement at face value) CSX acquiring a railroad over 1000 mi away was going to provide that final extra impetus to finally use ShipCSX. Of course, the cynic in me says they knew already knew that plant was going to close and they were currying favor and/or getting some incentive to support the deal.
 #1622886  by markhb

Given that (when I recently looked at their site) their primary business seems to be providing chemicals to the paper industry, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it wereno longer useful to have that warehouse here. And I recall a couple of years ago, a PAR train crew having to stop and manually turn that switch into Plasmine, something I doubt CSX would want to continue if there wasn't much money to be had from that location. (And really, it's a lousy location given that any moves there are going to block Forest Ave. for some period of time.)