Railroad Forums 

• Passenger Excursions/Coaches

• The Wisconsin and Southern Railroad (reporting mark WSOR) is a Class II regional railroad in southern Wisconsin and northeastern Illinois. It operates former Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road) and Chicago and North Western Transportation Company (C&NW) trackage, mostly acquired by the state of Wisconsin in the 1980s. It is owned by WATCO. Website:https://www.watcocompanies.com
The Wisconsin and Southern Railroad (reporting mark WSOR) is a Class II regional railroad in southern Wisconsin and northeastern Illinois. It operates former Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road) and Chicago and North Western Transportation Company (C&NW) trackage, mostly acquired by the state of Wisconsin in the 1980s. It is owned by WATCO. Website:https://www.watcocompanies.com
 #1540412  by Pensyfan19

I have been viewing pictures of this railroad and noticed that they have a good amount of passenger cars, specifically Pullman Bilevels being pulled by an E unit. What are these and other passenger cars usually used for? Have they been used for anything other than excursion service once being acquired by this railroad? Are the being planned to be used for anything else?
 #1540449  by eolesen

These days, probably nothing.

The E-units are all gone.

WSOR 101 was sold to Friends of the 261, and will eventually go back to MILW colors. That was the last one on property.
WSOR 103 was sold to Iowa Pacific around 2017, and had been doing charters prior to their bankruptcy.
WSOR 102 was owned by IRM, and returned there in 2017. Still in WSOR colors today, not sure if they'll return it to UP colors or not.

Haven't heard of a WSOR or WAMX excursion or business train since then. The P-S bilevels don't have generators, and I don't believe they have any other equipment on property with HEP.
 #1540712  by Pensyfan19

Ok. What were the bilevels used for? Could it be possible for them to be used as a shuttle service from towns along the line to Metra stations?
 #1540993  by eolesen

Nope. Ain't gonna happen. WATCO wants nothing to do with it.

The gallery cars were mostly used for employee joyrides and occasionally to entertain high value customers with dinner and a few drinks (although the single level cars were better suited for that).
 #1620321  by katherinerose6

E units are a type of diesel-electric locomotive that were manufactured by General Motors' Electro-Motive Division (EMD) from the late 1930s through the early 1960s. They were widely used for passenger service by many different railroads in the United States, including Amtrak and several commuter rail agencies. commercial power washing service

It is common for railroads to use historic or vintage passenger equipment for excursion or tourist services. These trains may offer passengers a chance to experience a bygone era of rail travel, complete with restored or preserved equipment, period costumes, and other historical elements.

In some cases, railroads may also use historic equipment for special events or charters, such as weddings, corporate events, or private parties. However, the specific use of Pullman Bilevels and E units by a particular railroad would depend on their operational needs and any applicable regulations or restrictions.
 #1628686  by KimD88

I always thought these bi-levels were for push and pull service, to avoid the need of changing directions, able to stow passengers or anything else you wish, but mostly passengers commuting the good ol' fashioned way.
 #1637289  by davidson02

eolesen wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:49 pm These days, probably nothing.

The E-units are all gone.

WSOR 101 was sold to Friends of the 261, and will eventually go back to MILW colors. That was the last one on property.
WSOR 103 was sold to Iowa Pacific around 2017, and had been doing charters prior to their bankruptcy.
WSOR 102 was owned by IRM, and returned there in 2017. Still in WSOR colors today, not sure if they'll return it to UP colors or not.

Haven't heard of a WSOR or WAMX excursion or business train since then. The P-S bilevels don't have generators, and I don't believe they have any other equipment on property with HEP.

I agree. I haven't seen E-Unit in a while and predicting it's all gone.