Railroad Forums 

• Berkshire Flyer: Pittsfield - New York City Service via Albany

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1620243  by Greg Moore

Jeff Smith wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:49 am For the life of me I could not find a more recent topic on this service; if someone can find it, link it here and I'll merge it in.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/amtrak ... spring/amp
Here you go:
https://www.masslive.com/news/2023/04/b ... ummer.html

And yes, they are continuing the return trips on Friday evening (originally it was one-way until like the 3rd or 4th week last year someone realized deadheading back to Albany cost money, and they might as well carry a few passengers).

I do hope this summer to either take a Friday afternoon off and bike out to Pittsfield and catch the train home, or on a Sunday, take the train out and then bike home. We'll see.
 #1620255  by bostontrainguy

Greg Moore wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:18 am Here you go:
https://www.masslive.com/news/2023/04/b ... ummer.html

And yes, they are continuing the return trips on Friday evening (originally it was one-way until like the 3rd or 4th week last year someone realized deadheading back to Albany cost money, and they might as well carry a few passengers).
Well if they do this right it does open the possibility of week long vacations in addition to weekend trips but as of now there is no train southbound from ALB that late to make the connection.
 #1620264  by Jeff Smith

I'm still surprised that Housatonic has not made use of a Pittsfield connection south to Canaan. One would think they could get MA on board with that. They're always talking about passenger service, right?
 #1620265  by Greg Moore

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:32 am Mr. Trainguy, the New Haven always had a late Sunday only #147 The Litchfield, leaving Pittsfield about 5P. passing SKS at 7, and arriving GCT 10, just to accommodate the business that to you and Mr. Moore hold, Amtrak is leaving behind.
Slight clarification. My reference to the Friday return trip (and Sunday trip to Pittsfield) was only in reference to monetizing an otherwise deadheading train. Granted, there's probably not much business for these, but it doesn't appear to hurt.

Now that, said, a return of something like the Litchfield would be nice.
 #1620271  by scoostraw

Jeff Smith wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:56 am I'm still surprised that Housatonic has not made use of a Pittsfield connection south to Canaan. One would think they could get MA on board with that. They're always talking about passenger service, right?
AFAIK the biggest deterrent to running passenger service is the exposure to liability. In today's climate you almost need to be able to self-insure in order for it to make sense.

Oh and it is a money-losing proposition, so there's that.

I could see the state of MA running something to Great Barrington - or maybe even Canaan - eventually.
 #1620274  by Gilbert B Norman

OK Mr. Moore, I'm now "topside" in my house so I dug out Form 200 from April 1952.

At that time, the Sunday only late train was #149 The Housatonic, leaving Pittsfield 730P, Kent 911P, pass Woodrow (SKS) 920P, Danbury 950P, then Nonstop to 125th Street and GCT 1130P.

Now a little more from "back in my day at SKS", #147, The Litchfield, was scheduled, leaving Pittsfield 600P, Kent 744P, passing Woodrow 755P, and getting to GCT with stops 1012P. It had a lightweight Parlor Car and prepared on board food service from what the New Haven called a Cafe-Coach.

Of note, I think The Late Noel Weaver had every Form 200 in his collection. When he passed, someone in Waterbury is preserving his collection. I know when he showed it to me at his condo in Fort Lauderdale, I was "utterly astounded" and all I could say is "Noel, I trust you have made arrangements for this collection when it's time".
 #1620332  by Jeff Smith

I’m sure they would be looking for the requisite capital investment in equipment and ROW as well as operating funds. The MA ROW has already been improved by MA.
 #1620336  by Gilbert B Norman

Uh volks, lest we forget about the 51 miles Danbury-Canaan, which to me from what I have observed is at best FRA Class 1 (whoops, FRA Class 2 or 3 along Hatch Pond by SKS with its Federally funded CWR - welded rail).

By the time I get back to SKS for Centenary June 9 (better not forget the checkbook lest being branded as a disloyal Alum), maybe that whole darned excuse of a railroad will have been embargoed.
 #1620342  by Jeff Smith

Regarding Danbury-New Canaan the only stretch I would think appropriate for passenger service would be New Milford-Danbury, which excludes it from Pittsfield service.

I sit on the fence where Housatonic is concerned. Whether they are fit to run such a service from Pittsfield or not is a valid question. But despite the fact that both CT and MA own their respective ROW Canaan north, HRRC would call “first dibs”.
 #1620351  by Gilbert B Norman

Here's an interesting piece that relates to the discussion here.

I must wonder, how the State of Connecticut, save that two mile stretch along Hatch Pond, has allowed THEIR railroad deteriorate to the extent it has.

Even though the industries around New Milford that benefitted from rail transportation (think Scovill Brass Fittings; heavy; no damage if they spill) the New Haven carefully recruited have moved on, what's to say rail dependent industries could again be recruited to locate in Litchfield County? Could an FRA Class 3 Berkshire Division be the answer?

If public funds were used to rebuild the line, here comes the case to rebuild to FRA Class 4 so that again passenger service could be offered. Which agency operating such matters not. Lest we forget, Connecticut already has two of such (MNR and SLE, plus of course Amtrak).
 #1620361  by Greg Moore

So, back the Berkshire Flyer Service.

I will still argue that NYS really needs to toss some money into the pot here and put a stop in Chatham NY. It's a natural for this one I think. (and I will again address my local reps on this.)