Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1619152  by AceMacSD

Unless you're an actual railroad employee who's qualified to PROPERLY use a PROPERLY calibrated radar device, please don't mention train speeds. Your false information can have consequences on those employees who're actually doing their jobs. What you may have considered "clocked" isn't an accurate measure of the precise speed the train was operating at. Please stop posting this false information. Watch the train, take your pictures, (all without trespassing) and be thankful there's still a train running these lines, but stop posting inaccurate information on train speeds here.
 #1619159  by pdtrains

What thing is being said here is....if u cant figure it out...Us that some RR's , especially the bigger ones, have a very adversarial relationship between the T&E crews and management. Management will take any opportunity to give the crews a hard time, call them in for investigation, and use any intimidation techniques.
One of the more common intimidation things mgmt tries is to bust a crew for exceeding the speed limit. SO when a railfan gets out there and starts commenting on train speed, you may be encouraging mgmt to go after a certain crew

Similarly, ive seen railfan comments about how a crew was working, and this kind of talk could lead to someone being called in for an investigation. Even if the company's claim is baseless, they will go after a crew member to just give them a hard time.

Talk about engines and equipment, but please leave how the crew is working out of it, as u may just be helping mgmt intimidate employees, or worse.

Crews have to make judgement calls at times, and mgmt LOVES to second guess the crews. If u dont believe me, watch "miracle on the Hudson." Sully Sulllenberger Lands a plane on the hudson river with no one gettng hurt or killed, and mgmt doesnt thank him, they call him in for an investigation, trying to prove that he could have landed back at LaGuardia. Rather than being thankful for doing a good job, they tried to get him fired..

Its sad, but this is how big mgmt is these days. They hate employees. I think the shortlines may be better...

FWIW

PS....and to be fair...the bedside manor of some RR employees here could use some improvement too.
 #1619160  by SemperFidelis

So, what you're saying is:

Example 1: Tactless and indicative of a lack of class and upbringing.

Example 2: How adults might do better to speak to one another.

Interesting in this day and age...very interesting.
 #1619161  by pdtrains

Semper Fi...I have no idea if you are agreeing with me not, but whatever....back to trains... Any updates on the Freehold to farmingdale construction.
The number of abandonments ive seen in NJ is a list a mile long.

The only restorations of service i can remember are:
-Passenger service between Dover and Hackettstown (I believe it was dumped in 66, and came back later_)
-Service to Staten Island over the AK draw
-former CNJ, LV, and NYC ROW now part of the HBLRT
-A small part of the former Erie Orange branch now part of the Newark City Subway
-NJT trains from Lindenwold to 30th st via the Delair bridge
-DLRT on the former PRR Bordertown Br.
-The Center St connector
-and now...Freehold to farmingdale.\

Anything else?
Last edited by pdtrains on Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1619162  by Bracdude181

@pdtrains That’s partly why I never uploaded the footage of SA31 derailing at Farmingdale. Why should the crew take the fall for something that is the result of Conrails decision to not maintain the tracks?

Side note: it’s been one year and four days since that incident. Crazy how much has changed since then…
 #1619163  by JohnFromJersey

Shortlines do tend to be better to the employees, since there are less employees, firing one can lead to some serious staffing shortages.

Vs. with CSX or NS, fire one guy, you probably one have or two other guys you can get to fill in that position. So, they don't really seem to give a damn as much.

That being said, let's not put any train crews on blast here, no matter if it's a shortline or not
 #1619180  by RustyRail5634

AceMacSD wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:02 pm Unless you're an actual railroad employee who's qualified to PROPERLY use a PROPERLY calibrated radar device, please don't mention train speeds. Your false information can have consequences on those employees who're actually doing their jobs. What you may have considered "clocked" isn't an accurate measure of the precise speed the train was operating at. Please stop posting this false information. Watch the train, take your pictures, (all without trespassing) and be thankful there's still a train running these lines, but stop posting inaccurate information on train speeds here.
Pipe down. It's possible for people to figure out the speed of a train. The speed of my vehicle was matched exactly with the train, and it read 25, if you were there, you'd know. It's also easy to compare the speed of this train with other trains that run at the same speed. If it wasn't a safety concern from people who have seen a thing or two, it wouldn't make a difference. I really don't care if you "work" for a railroad, or this railroad (even after a representative from the company came on here and said no employees are on this forum), just because someone is a buff doesn't mean they're automatically wrong about what they say.