Railroad Forums 

• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1614552  by photobug56

By the time I was old enough to possibly arm-twist my parents into a family train trip, it was all gone. We visited the mostly abandoned station sometime later, than again when Hilton and a local owner were mostly finished with converting it into a hotel - even mostly finished it was really great to see how it was coming back to life. My spouse and I stayed there some years ago (Radisson, I think) with a room overlooking the tracks, where we could see excursion trains going by. And yes, when we can get back, we usually visit Steamtown and other historical sites, and try to pick up some Old Forge White Pizza. Our next visit will likely be late May. And we'd love to be able to go by train.
 #1614632  by checkmatechamp13

photobug56 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:46 pm
CharlieL wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:25 pm I have a feeling, based on the "Build it, and they will come" philosophy, that about 5 years after the line is open to Andover, that there will be some significant growth in that area. New York-Scranton, not so much but possibly Stroudsburg and vicinity, and points east, if they get that far.
If it becomes easy for people in NYC to go to the Poconos and Scranton for resorts, including for skiers, that would be a big boost, especially keeping these people off the main highways. Martz Bus could use some of its fleet for transferring people from trains to resorts. The same for kids in the colleges along the way and in Scranton, including from Long Island. Lots of good possibilities.
Hopefully they run more than just a few trains a day. If they're going to spend the capital investment to rebuild the line, they should try to run more than just the three trips per day proposed by the Amtrak Connects Us plan. Hopefully, Amtrak and NJT can work out a deal similar to how they run the Hartford Line.
 #1617302  by james1787

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:08 pm Going out to Mr. Bug, and the other aficionados who again seek through passenger service over the Cut-Off:

https://youtu.be/xrOHCwodHu4
Thank you for sharing! My wife's grandmother told us she used to take the Phoebe Snow from Summit to Scranton to visit family. It's pretty neat to see what it was like to make the trip. Who knows.. maybe in our lifetime.. I hope so!
 #1618702  by Ken W2KB

james1787 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:55 pm This popped up today on Amtrak's website regarding the cutoff.

https://media.amtrak.com/2023/03/amtrak ... MCnTyTkcfk

Here is a link to the finding...
https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... ervice.pdf
Thanks. Interesting that the study mentions a substantial benefit of tourism, but the plan does not include a station stop at or near the Delaware Water Gap which is a significant attraction, the approximately 70,000 acre Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.