Railroad Forums 

• What is going to happen to the ALP-44s??

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1575670  by Wes8761

I have been wondering what will happen to them and when. I have gone to see the 28 they abandoned in Port Morris and its safe to say that (from the outside at least) like they will never turn a wheel again. I never went inside since trespassing is illegal and I want to respect NJT and their equipment however it seems they don't really care at all about the state of them. The windows on some have been broken in and others have forced entry through the doors. One has what looks like a firemans hose coming out from a hole in the undercarriage, dunno what that is about but needless to say they are operationally ruined. I have seen pictures of the 3 or 4 stored at the MMC and they look on the outside at least like they are 100% operational. I wonder if Transit will sell them off or scrap them and when that will happen. I imagine the main 44s will be scrapped on site and the MMC ones will be moved to the North Jersey Coast Line scrapyard. Any ideas when that will happen or if anything different will happen? Also if anyone is selling the operators instructions to the 44s I will gladly buy one. (Sadly the only image I had was a crappy one )
 #1590555  by lensovet

Truly unbelievable that both the 44s and the IIIs were retired before being in service for 25 years. Even worse is that the IIIs have just been taking up space and depreciating in value for the last decade.
 #1590609  by Dcell

lensovet wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:14 am Truly unbelievable that both the 44s and the IIIs were retired before being in service for 25 years. Even worse is that the IIIs have just been taking up space and depreciating in value for the last decade.
How about the PL-42ACs? No other railroad operates them and I've been told no other railroad wants these locomotives as second-hand units. Their only value is for components and scrap. Operated less than 20 years.
 #1615284  by Emmett

for anyone looking at this me and my friend were talking about how njt is criminal for dumping the ALP-44's at Hopatcong and he said he found a video of 2 njt alp-44 (unsure if they are O's or E's). The reason they probably aren't ALP-44M's is mainly due to that they were extremely faulty (like #2308 of septa). Anyway, when he found the video it shows 2 alp-44's in a yard stored with Arrow III and newer alp-45/46 equipment. Are they going to be preserved,Scrapped,Used?
 #1615288  by Halgoonta

Emmett wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:43 am i think 2 ALP-44's are still there as of now 2/6/23.
There could be at least four of them in good condition, according to this Google maps capture i took.
then again, this could be old and there may be only two left now.
Attachments:
Four NJT ALP-44s in MMC yard seen from G maps
Four NJT ALP-44s in MMC yard seen from G maps
Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 9.52.55 AM.png (384.19 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
 #1615295  by electricron

Probably better asked and answered at the NJT forum pages than Amtrak's. Sorry. I have no idea what NJT is going to do.
 #1615331  by MACTRAXX

E - I will second ER and mention NJT ALP44 motors have nothing whatsoever to do with Amtrak.
This post and subject belongs in the NJ Transit Forum.

As an (almost) 18 year member (I joined RR.Net on 2/7/2005) I learned early on that topics need to be posted
in the appropriate Forum locations to solicit feedback replies. If you are not sure where a specific notation or
question needs to be posted do not hesitate to ask for help getting pointed in the right direction>MACTRAXX
 #1615372  by Emmett

Mactraxx which forum should i put it in?