Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1615099  by CharlieL

Total ballast for everything they will be doing is 27000 tons (about 18000 yards) If you figure 75% of that (or more) is for Farmingdale-Freehold, then 12500 yards, or 337,500 cu ft.
I think they will be using almost all of it there, or about 1 yard per track-foot.
 #1615108  by Bracdude181

Clearing as of today.

Almost the whole Freehold Team Track has been removed. All that’s left is the crossing and the tracks on the other side. Some of the brush has been cleaned on the other side, presumably to allow EH Allen to unload his next shipment.

Don’t know if they’ll rebuild the removed tracks.Image
Can’t show anyone because now Tapatalk won’t let me upload all my photos for some reason. Getting sick and tired of the issues I’m having trying to get pictures on here Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1615112  by pdtrains

Thx for the pix. Maybe someone will document the rebuild for an article in Railpace, or something.

When was the last time an abandoned ROW was brought back to life in NJ? They still havent been able to get Port Marris to Andover rebuilt... It was started 20 years ago??
 #1615114  by CharlieL

pumpers wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:36 pm Once they clear Southard Ave. what will be interesting is if they not only curve left to clear the existing track to connect compass northbound on the Southern, but if they also go straight and clear past the JCP&L yard to make a compass southbound connection to the Southern. Monday perhaps.

Can anyone estimate how many carloads of ballast this job will take? Where will we see them first (Brown's yard) ?

Jim S
[/quote
Think you will see survey marks for a wye before they do any clearing for one. Expect they will finish clearing this last stretch maybe Tuesday
 #1615116  by Bracdude181

This also assuming any ballast will be delivered by rail.

When I spoke with the guys at Adelphia Road, (they’re the same crew who put ties in the southern) they mentioned Farmingdale to Freehold might have the sub ballast replaced. (Provided there’s any left)
 #1615118  by JohnFromJersey

Today's RB-1 return trip at Megill Rd, sometime between 2 and 2:30, I forgot
Blackseal Jim wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:16 pm Just drove past Okerson Rd crossing. Crew has moved the rails off to the side and are grading the road bed
Jim H
That is crazy. I was not expecting them to begin starting track work this early, especially before the ROW clearing was done! For trackwork, will they put the ballast or the tracks down first? I know Brightline in Florida put the tracks down first, and then the ballast for a lot of their construction.
Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:22 pm They might reach Gold Lumber by days end!
Speaking of Gold's Lumber, I wonder if an industrial customer will return to that site after the reconnection is done.
pumpers wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:36 pm Once they clear Southard Ave. what will be interesting is if they not only curve left to clear the existing track to connect compass northbound on the Southern, but if they also go straight and clear past the JCP&L yard to make a compass southbound connection to the Southern. Monday perhaps.
They will definitely clear straight to JCP&L in addition to the northbound curve of the (future) wye.
Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:25 pm Almost the whole Freehold Team Track has been removed. All that’s left is the crossing and the tracks on the other side. Some of the brush has been cleaned on the other side, presumably to allow EH Allen to unload his next shipment.

Don’t know if they’ll rebuild the removed tracks.
Didn't a Facebook post say they are rebuilding it?

Speaking of shipments, I was at Jamesburg today, at Recoil. Recoil is down the street from the Jamesburg wye. I saw not one, but THREE tanker cars there, who gets those and why so many? IIRC, tanker cars rarely ran on the FIT.

I also saw 1888 parked on the wye, but no sign of 2005. Where did it go?
Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:34 pm Forgot to mention there’s an article in the Howell Times about Farmingdale to Freehold being reopened. I have the newspaper but can’t show it due to my ongoing technical issues. Image
Here's the Howell Times article
Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:00 pm This also assuming any ballast will be delivered by rail.

When I spoke with the guys at Adelphia Road, (they’re the same crew who put ties in the southern) they mentioned Faemingdale to Freehold might have the sub ballast replaced. (Provided there’s any left)
They probably won't deliver any ballast by rail. It would probably make the ordeal easier, but if the ballast is coming locally, and they want to get it done before the crossings are done, they will have to do it by truck most likely.

Also, what is sub ballast??
 #1615119  by Bracdude181

Recoil in Jamesburg is a gun range so I doubt the tanks are for them lol. Might be cars stored for Prestone or empties waiting to go out.

The sub ballast is the layer of ballast between the ground and the top layer of ballast the rails sit on.

#1615124  by CharlieL

There is enough ballast on their grant request for a strip 6 feet wide by 1-1/2 to 2 ft deep, Halls Mill to Railroad Ave.. I suspect that will happen, though probably not those dimensions.

Will they put down a layer then track and ties, then re-ballast, or rails first? Haven't a clue. They know what they;re doing, and are providing entertainment and education, and even maybe changing the minds of some who thought this all would be a catastastroke.
 #1615126  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:16 pm Recoil in Jamesburg is a gun range so I doubt the tanks are for them lol. Might be cars stored for Prestone or empties waiting to go out.

The sub ballast is the layer of ballast between the ground and the top layer of ballast the rails sit on.

Meant that I saw the train cars at the wye down the street from Recoil